• Mac

A5-Powered AppleTV Forthcoming, With 1080p Support?

A5-Powered AppleTV Forthcoming, With 1080p Support?

AppleTV fans rejoice! It appears that Apple is preparing to release a third generation of it’s AppleTV hardware. According to reports, the new AppleTV may feature Apple’s new dual-core A5 chip – the same one used in the iPad! If true, this may well mean that the AppleTV will soon support 1080p output to your HDTV! Personally, this is one of the main reasons that I’ve been stopping myself from purchasing an AppleTV – it just won’t look as brilliant as I want it to on my expensive HDTV.

If Apple does make this change in a future revision (and maybe does something awesome like allowing native apps for the AppleTV – Native YouTube, Pandora, Hulu, and Netflix would certainly be a plus!), I’m sure that many people previously on the fence about the matter will be swift to make the leap. It’d essentially make the AppleTV the most functional set top box available on the market!

Currently the AppleTV run’s Apple incredible (though now dated) A4 chip, which can only handle (at best) 720p playback, and as discussed, this has been seen as one it its most significant drawbacks. What remains to be seen is whether or not Apple’s AirPlay functionality, which is an integral part of the AppleTV, is robust enough to handle a 1080p video stream.

I’m excited about this possibility, how about you? Let us know your thoughts by sounding off in the comments. Is there anything else you’d like to see on the AppleTV? If you don’t already own one, what would push you over the edge?

Via 9to5Mac

1. Chris says:

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but while the current Apple TV 2 only supports 720p, a jailbroken device can, if not officially, play back 1080 just fine. Since Apple can't yet handle streaming rentals reliably at 720p, the obvious conclusion is that the 720p limitation is dictated by economic and bandwidth issues, not technical ones.

1. Xbmc says:

Is this your Experience or did you Read that somewhere?

2. bluc says:

Already have one and love it but if they would support 1080p and apps I would order 2 more the day of release!

3. Josh says:

I have one and also love it! It depends on what else the new one would do to make me get a new one, because like I said, I love the most recent one. I do have to say, the picture is pretty nice even at 720p.

4. Anonymous says:

only thing holding me back is the 1080p. My projector shows clearly 720p vs 1080p, I can see lines even though it’s only 10.5 foot wide screen. I’m sure with even larger screens it’s unwatchable on 720p. It’s for that reason I stopped watching my hd-dvd’s which are all 720. Bluray support would be nice in future apple products as well, although I doubt we’ll be seeing that, lol!

5. My apple tv looks great on my 46″ at 720p. I love it I’m going to get the new one and put the one i have in another room…

6. I’m sure I’m reaching here but making the next Apple TV the only media device I need connected to my TV would be just super.
    That would involve Native apps so I can have my Netfilx AND Pandora and Youtube streaming along with my iTunes and personal media; and if it’s going to support 1080p then why not build in a BluRay drive. 90% of my movie/tv watching IS streaming, but I don’t want to have to switch inputs if I want to watch a BluRay disc…yeah I’m lazy but it’s technology’s fault. C’mon Apple..do this for me so I can have one less device connected to my HDMI hub.

7. 496177 459725 warning Dont any of you people ever take me to CiCis pizza! There food looks offensive!|Urban_Elegance| 963587

8. 382308 123208I believe one of your commercials caused my internet browser to resize, you could effectively want to put that on your blacklist. 895261

9. tercihsoft says:

tesekkur ederim tercih soft cok iyiydi

10. Antalya Haşere İlaçlamaaaaba

11. 796275 759006I was reading some of your content material on this internet site and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up. 687597