If you’re planning on giving your kid an iOS device this holiday season, or just want to find a better way to control how much they’re spending on music and apps, here’s a handy tip on how to set up an iTunes account without a credit card, allowing you to fund their accounts yourself using iTunes gift cards.
Crating an iTunes account without a credit card is simple – just follow these steps:
- Open iTunes, and launch the iTunes Store.
- If you’re signed into an account, sign out (click the Store option in the menu bar, then click ‘Sign Out’).
- While signed out, select any free app from the App Store, and attempt to purchase it. This will prompt you to create an account.
- Now, go through the motions of setting up an account until you’re asked to set up a payment option.
- Select ‘None’, and answer any more questions you’re prompted to answer.
- Apple will send an email to the email address you entered earlier. Verify the account by clicking the link in that email.
That’s all there is to it – you should now have an account with full access to the iTunes store. This account can be used to purchase free apps, and can be loaded up with iTunes gift card credit for purchased content.
While you’ll still have plenty of things to worry about, at least you won’t have to worry about your kids running up your credit card with iTunes purchases! I’ve tested this and verified that it works. You can also follow these same steps using any iPhone, iPod touch or iPad, eliminating the need for a computer.
Update 12/12/12: Revised and verified working with iTunes 11.
For more helpful tips, check out our full collection of tutorials by visiting our How-To category!