Google has released a major update to its Chrome browser for iOS, bringing the version up to 28. The updated brings a number of new features and enhancements, including improved support for sharing between other Google iOS apps (including the ability to open links in Google’s apps rather than Mobile Safari).
From the official Google Chrome blog:
Today’s release of Chrome for iPad and iPhone makes it easier to integrate your favorite Google apps with Chrome. After you sign in to Chrome, you can sign in to other Google apps with a single click. In addition, if you prefer to follow directions in the Google Maps app instead of in the browser, you can easily set a preference to open these links in the Maps app instead. Try the same for YouTube, Google+, and Google Drive (with more apps coming soon).
The update also includes a new feature that compresses web data in order to reduce your data usage and speed up page load times, as well as voice search improvements, full screen mode on the iPad, and more.
Over the coming days, we are also rolling out an experimental data compression service to help you save bandwidth, load pages faster, and browse more securely on your iPhone and iPad. Finally, this update brings fullscreen browsing to your iPad and the ability to access your browsing history from the menu.
From the App Store change log:
What’s New in Version 28.0.1500.12
– Interoperability with other Google Apps. Option to open links for YouTube, Maps, G+ and Drive in the app instead of the browser.
– Enhancements to voice search. Text-to-speech for all variations of English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Japanese, and Korean. Toolbar controls are always available when using voice search.
– Fullscreen on iPad.
– Data cost savings: Reduce data usage and speed up page load times. View data savings in Bandwidth Management settings. This feature is being rolled out and will be available to all users over time.
– Access to browser history.
– Stability / security improvements and bug fixes.
The interoperability feature between Google Apps also allows you to sign in to ALL if your Google apps with a single click if you’re already signed into Chrome, which could come in very handy. The update is available now as a free download from the App Store.
- Google Chrome for iOS (free, App Store link).