A new game from developer Renniksoft, called Spectra – Camera Painting 1.1, has hit the iOS App Store, and it offers an unusual method for completing on-screen paintings, illustrations, cartoons and other images. Players use their iPhone’s on-board camera to target and match-up colors in the world around them to complete the on-screen image.
Spectra offers an unusual spin on the usual puzzle or color matching games. Colors are all around us in the real world, and Spectra uses them to complete a target illustration or work of art. Users can select an easy level, where the colors are limited, and easier to match, all the way up to an expert level, where the colors are tougher to get an exact match to.
Features of the free app include:
- Camera Painting: Match the colors in the surrounding area to the game’s image to the using the iPhone’s camera
- Users may test their skills with three levels of difficulty: Novice, Expert, and Master
- 8 free paintings are included – Buy hundreds more in a number of themes, from Abstract to Wildlife
- Use the iPhone’s built-in flash as a flashlight to illuminate colors to capture them in low-light situations
- A Pinch-to-zoom feature helps the camera capture the perfect color
The free app includes 8 free paintings to get started, and since the app also offers three skill levels for each illustration, that should keep players occupied for awhile. But, when users are bored, they can download a number of other illustrations, for various dollar amounts, via the game’s in-app purchase functionality.
Additional Painting Packs include:
- Art Nouveau
- Folk Art
- Natural World
- Pop Art
- Travel Art
I had a chance to play with the app before its general release, and I must say I enjoyed the whole premise and execution of the game. It was great fun to search for just the right hue in the surrounding area. Frustrating yes, but entertaining. Developer of the game, Clive Skinner says one player called the game, “Pokemon Go meets coloring books,” and I can see that. It’s an unusual challenge, and its free, so I’d suggest a visit to the App Store to download it and give it a try.
Spectra – Camera Painting 1.1 is free, and is available for iOS devices in the App Store. [GET IT HERE]