Apple To Unleash Major Upgrade For Mobile Me, Remove Price Tag

Apple To Unleash Major Upgrade For Mobile Me, Remove Price Tag

According to the Wall Street Journal, Apple has been working on a fairly major upgrade for its popular MobileMe service, adding cloud-based iTunes library storage (which may operate as a streaming service or digital locker-type storage mechanism).  The upgrade will also reportedly make MobileMe into a free service in order to compete with the similar free services on other platforms, such as Android.  The update is rumored to be released this summer, possibly alongside the iPhone 5 and/or iPhone Nano.

I, for one, would be thrilled about such an update – it’d virtually eliminate my current concern about how much storage is on my iPhone (since the vast majority of my iPhone’s space is filled with podcasts, music, and other such content), and would also help me free up storage space on my Mac – maybe I can get away with using only a 256GB SSD after all!

1. Dan says:

Free MobileMe would be awesome, can't wait!

2. Dan says:

Free MobileMe would be awesome, can't wait!

3. Shinigami says:

FINALLY. been waiting for this to be a good little addition to my stuff on my laptop. I'll be very grateful because $99 is too much for me at the moment.

4. Shinigami says:

5. John Bob says:

I for one will be annoyed f free MM comes in the summer as my subscription is due NOW

1. Mine is currently due as well.

6. paulmwatson says:

$99 was never good value. Pretty UI but limited and easily replaceable with free alternatives even for non-techies.

7. John Bob says:

1. Mine is currently due as well.

8. paulmwatson says:

9. Moose says:

Did you know you can buy mobile me subscriptions for <$50 on amazon? Look for the 'old version' which is exactly the same as any 'current version' but amazon lists it that way. I have renewed my subscription 2 years in a row that way so it works fine and amazon is an authorized dealer. I use it enough to justify the $47 I paid but agree $99 is ridiculous. Their servers are really pretty slow so if they make it free I hope they have major expansion done before they do!

10. Gary Pool says:

That's the way mac.com started FREE!