Apple Launching Back To School Promo This Week, Without The Free iPod Touch!

Apple Launching Back To School Promo This Week, Without The Free iPod Touch!

Apple’s back to school promo is always exciting for students that need a new laptop. Traditionally, Apple has offered a free iPod Touch with a new Mac purchase. This year, we’ve been hearing reports that they’re offering a $100 iTunes gift card instead, and that the promo could launch as early as tomorrow!

Previous reports have suggested that Apple might offer $200 off an iPad, while still offering the option for an iPod Touch. None of the rumors so far are backed with any form of compelling evidence (that I have seen), so the truth of the matter is still yet shrouded in mystery.

Apple typically begins their back to school promo about three months prior to their annual (usually September) iPod and music-related event, and it typically provides a way to clear out inventory of iPods ahead of refreshes that often take place at that event. If it’s true that iPods are not included in this year’s back to school promo, it’s unclear whether or not we’ll see any iPod-related updates this fall.

The $100 gift card certainly seems like bit of a cheap bag compared to the traditional gift of an iPod Touch (which many students sell to buffer the cost of their MacBook)… I’d certainly be disappointed if I were a student about to purchase a MacBook.

What are your thoughts? Sound off in the comments!

1. Paul says:

Not excited about the $100 credit. Would rather take the $200 credit towards an iPod or iPad.

2. Koryadams2010 says:

I am a student and was going to get a new MacBook and wanted a free iPod touch! I guess I will wait. Or see what happens

1. Chris says:

I am in the same situation. Nevermind, at least we get something off still!

3. Shinya Michimi says:

Student also here. Dissapointed that I won’t be getting a 200 dollar off iPad offer, would have been of much greater use than a bloody 100 dollar off iTunes. I never buy anything off of iTunes, and still won’t.

4. Jim says:

Microsoft has the get a free Xbox 360, you’d think Apple would try and match that.

5. DJQ says:

I’m a student. I definitely wanted the $200 off iPad option.

6. DJQ says:

I’m a student. I definitely wanted the $200 off iPad option.

7. Nicolaithesecond says:

Would it mean that the IPod brand will be progressively being discontinued?

8. Rock says:

Apple could offer nothing at all. They use the promo as a way to get students to buy their laptops over another brand. If you are that irritated, go buy a PC from a brand that offers you nothing special…then come back an complain about getting $100.