Apple’s long-awaited major update to iOS 5 is finally here! iOS 5.1 brings a number of new features, such as a new camera slider on the home screen, Japanese language support for Siri, and more! iOS 5.1 is a recommended update for users of iOS 5. Here’s a rundown of what’s new:
- Quick-snap camera slider on the home screen
Apple has included improved access to the camera from the home screen with a new dedicated camera toggle – just tap the camera icon and slide it upward to quickly snap a picture. You never know when you’ll come across a golden photo opportunity, and this will help you capture it even faster than before!
- Additional language support for Siri
Siri now supports a number of additional languages, including Japanese, which will make Apple’s digital assistant much more useful to international audiences.
- Siri Dictation for iPad
In a move that will surely please those who do a lot of text input on their iPad, Apple has added support for Siri Dictation, allowing you to dictate to your iPad rather than typing everything by hand.Go ahead – talk to your iPad! Everyone will understand (hopefully)!
iOS 5.1 should also address lingering battery life issues for iPhone users, and fix recently discovered security bugs, and will be available very shortly through iTunes. We’ll post direct links right here on this page as soon as they are available to us.
It also includes the following additional features:
- Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
- Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
- Redesigned Camera app for iPad
- Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
- Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
- Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad
- Updated AT&T network indicator
- Addresses bugs affecting battery life
- Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls
Note: Those who jailbreak should wait for confirmation before updating, however, as it may break support for current jailbreak exploits.
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4 GSM
- iPhone 4 CDMA
- iPhone 4S
- iPad 2, iPad 2 AT&T and iPad 2 Verizon
- iPod touch 3rd gen
- iPod touch 4th gen