With the redesigned App Store in iOS 6, many predicted that Apple would launch a standalone app for Podcasts, and that’s exactly what they’ve done. The app, released today, allows you to share, explore and listen to thousands of podcasts and also has a top stations feature, which helps you find a new podcast to do with a certain topic.
We had mentioned in a article earlier this month, that Apple was planning on releasing a podcast app, and they have not disappointed.
It’s completely free but requires iOS 5.1 or later, so if you have an older iPhone, it won’t work. Here are the full details taken from the App Store, you can download it here.
From the release notes:
• Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
• Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
• Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
• Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
• Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices