Back when I didn’t know any better and was still stuck on Windows, Trillian was one of my absolute favorite apps – it was everything I wanted in an instant messaging app, and ir packed more features than any other app on the market.
In late 2009, Trillian finally came to the iPhone, packing many of the features that made the desktop version so popular. And today, Cerulean Studios released Trillian 2.0, finally bringing native iPad support to my favorite messaging app!
The app has been completely rewritten to take advantage of the iPad’s larger screen, and it looks incredible! But besides the iPad support, Trillian also got a brand new interface for iPhone, and plenty of new features to go along with it!
Trillian 2.0 is completely free, syncs messages between the iPhone, iPad, and Mac, and is available now from the App Store (link). Full release notes can be found below:
What’s New in Version 2.0.259
We are pleased to introduce Trillian 2.0! Some of the great features in this huge update include:
• LAUNCHPAD: Trillian’s new launchpad lets you keep up with the people most important to you at a single glance. Don’t worry, your contact list is still readily available, searchable, and sortable according to your personal preferences.
• ADDRESS BOOK: Trillian can now optionally import names and photos from your address book. Make your launchpad shine by showcasing beautiful photos of your contacts.
• SECURITY: We’ve taken additional steps to secure all traffic coming from Trillian using TLS, meaning all of your chats are now protected from third-party eavesdropping.
• USER INTERFACE: Almost every screen of Trillian has been touched up and polished, from minor graphic updates to ensuring orientation changes are as smooth as silk.
• NOTIFICATIONS: Chat windows now support in-window notifications to let you easily read messages from more than one person at a time.
• MOBILE INDICATOR: As a special bonus for those of you that use the Trillian chat network, we’ve added an optional mobile indicator to let your friends know when you’re on the phone.
• SAVE OUTGOING PICTURES: A common request, you can now instruct Trillian to save photos as you send them to others, ensuring you never lose a funny photo again.
• NEW EMOTICONS: We’ve polished up our existing emoticons and added a whole bunch of new ones for your chatting pleasure.
• INVITES: You can now invite your friends to use Trillian from within the app if you have their phone number. Even cooler, when your friends join Trillian and approve your add request they will automatically sign online without the need to exchange usernames!
• AND: Support for the iPad? You got it! The new version of Trillian is now a universal app, and we’ve created a very unique iPad-only user interface that we think you’ll really enjoy.