Facebook released a nice update to their iOS app today, bringing free user-to-user voice calling throughout the U.S. and Canada. The feature was introduced about a month ago in the Facebook Messenger app, and has only now been added to the primary app (which is used by far, far more people). Calls can be made over either a WiFi or cellular connection.
From the release notes:
What’s New in Version 5.5
New button design makes it easy to like, comment and share posts in News Feed.
• Improved buttons to like, comment and share posts
• Share button to re-post stories from your News Feed now available in all languages
• Call friends for free right from Facebook (US and Canada) *
* Free calling uses your existing data plan.
To make a voice call, just open chat with the individual you want to speak to, tap the “i” info button in the top right-hand corner, then tap Free Call. Note: If the user has not updated to the latest version of the Facebook app, the calling feature will not be available. Unfortunately, the iPad version of the Facebook app has not received the new feature yet.
Facebook 5.5 for iOS is available now for free from the App Store.
- Facebook for iOS (free, App Store link).