Apple released a major update today for their Podcasts app for iOS, adding a number of features, including iCloud sync, the ability to create custom stations and On-The-Go playlists, and significant design improvements within several portions of the app.
From the App Store:
What’s New In This Version:
• Create custom stations of your favorite podcasts that update automatically with new episodes
• Choose whether your stations begin playing with the newest or oldest unplayed episode
• Your stations are stored in iCloud and kept up-to-date on all of your devices
• Create an On-The-Go playlist with your own list of episodes
• Playlists synced from iTunes now appear in the Podcasts app
• The Now Playing view has been redesigned with easier to use playback controls
• Addressed an issue with resuming playback when returning to the app
• Additional performance and stability improvements
The design improvements really are quite nice. The overall design is less skeumorphic in nature, and the Now Playing view in particular has received some much needed design changes. A comparison between the old and new view can be found below (new design is on the right).
Podcasts for iOS is available as a free download from the App Store. Let us know what you think about the changes by sounding off in the comments!
Podcasts (free, App Store link)