After originally releasing a faulty version of their Apple TV 6.0 update on Friday that “bricked” some users’ Apple TVs, Apple has now re-released the update with the necessary fixes.
Apple TV Software Update 6.0 brings a number of new features to Apple’s popular set-top box, including the ability to purchase iTunes music direct from the Apple TV, support for iTunes Radio, the ability to automatically download updates, set up your Apple TV using your iOS 7 device, and more.
- iTunes Radio: Create your own radio stations and listen to them ad-free with iTunes Match. (Available only in the United States.)
- iTunes Music Store: Browse, purchase, and play music directly from the iTunes Music Store.
- iCloud Photos: Adds support for playing video from a shared photo stream and viewing photo streams from multiple contributors.
- AirPlay from iCloud: Apple TV will play content from iTunes in the Cloud instead of your AirPlay device when possible. Requires iOS 7 on AirPlay device.
- Podcasts Sync: your podcasts and podcast stations across Apple TV and all your iOS devices.
- Subtitles & Captioning: Automatic subtitle selection based on Apple TV language setting.Customize closed caption style.
- Conference Room Display: Lock Apple TV into Conference Room Display (for business and education environments) and >show onscreen instructions for using AirPlay.
- Software Update: Keep your Apple TV always up to date by automatically installing software updates when available.
- Setup: Use an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 7 to automatically transfer network settings, your Apple ID, and language preferences. Not available on iPhone 4 and iPad 2.
The update is available now through Software Update on existing Apple TVs (by visiting the device’s Settings menu and navigating to General > Update Software). The update can also be downloaded directly from Apple and installed through iTunes (links available from 9to5Mac). Let us know how you like the new features!