If you’re like me, you can never remember where you parked your car. Whether it’s in a huge shopping mall parking lot, or just the morning after the night before, it’s always tough to find my vehicle. (Hey, at least I call a cab for a ride home, right?)
Using your iPhone, you can easily mark your current location, so you can quickly find it when you’re finished shopping, (or finished sleeping one off…) Here’s how.
Marking Your Location With 3D Touch
First, let’s quickly cover how to mark your location on an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus:
- Unlock your iPhone. (You do keep it locked, right?)
- Find the Maps icon on your Home Screen.
- Hard Press the Maps icon. (Nothing will happen if you don’t have an iPhone 6s or 6s Plus.)
- Tap “Mark My Location” on the menu that appears.
The Maps app will open, and will automatically drop a pin on your current location, determined by your iPhone’s built-in GPS.
Marking Your Location Without 3D Touch
Older iPhones can also mark your current location for you, but it just takes a few more steps:
- Open the Maps app.
- Tap the locator arrow in the lower left hand corner of the display to focus on your current location.
- Tap the Info button in the lower right hand corner of the display. (It looks like an “i” with a circle around it.)
- Tap “Drop a Pin” from the menu that appears.
A pin will drop a pin marking your current location.
Finding the Previously Marked Location
When it’s time to find your car, or whatever, or whoever you may have left at the previously marked location, follow these steps:
- Open the Maps app.
- Tap the Directions Button. (It’s at the top left of the display, it looks like a 90 degree turn arrow.)
- When the Directions screen appears, tap “Current Location” for your “Start” point.
- For the “End” location, tap “Favorites” and select the pin you dropped.
- Tap “Route” and follow the directions to the previously marked location.
Your marked list will begin to get crowded after awhile, and after you find your car, you’ll likely never need to find that specific exact location again. So, you might as well delete it.
Delete a marked location by doing the following:
- Tap the Dropped Pin from your Favorites list, if needed.
- Tap the pin description label on the map.
- Tap “Remove Pin” from the list of options that will appear.
Your dropped pin will disappear.
Following the above instructions, you’ll never permanently lose your car, (husband, wife, bowling ball) ever again. (Unless you really want to.)