If you’re like us, you occasionally have an iOS app that won’t update correctly, or you read about a new app in the iOS App Store and you just can’t find it. Both issues can usually be resolved with a force refresh of the App Store, here’s how.
- Open the App Store on your iOS device. (Which, since you’re experiencing one of the above issues, you probably already have it open.)
- Look down at the bottom of the App Store screen, you’ll see the Tab Bar, which has the following icons in it: “Featured,” “Top Charts,” “Explore,” “Search,” and “Updates.” Get ready to tap any of these icons.
- Tap any of those five icons ten times. Tap it like you’re playing flappy bird.
- Wait, as you see the App Store refresh itself.
- Try your update, or look for the app again.
It’s been our experience that stuck updates may take a few refreshes to finally complete. Especially in the iPad version of the App Store app. In extreme cases, you may indeed be force to close the App Store app and try again.
Note: You can also refresh the App Store by exiting the App Store app, going to the iOS 9 task switcher, closing the App Store app, and then restarting it, but the ten tap method is likely faster, especially since you’re already in the App Store when you need to refresh it.
(Original tip: Zachary Drayer via Twitter)