If you’re holding your breath waiting for a new Apple-branded monitor, you might as well follow your Apple Watch’s periodic advice, and just breathe.
The Verge’s Nilay Patel tweeted yesterday that Apple told him they are out of the standalone monitor business:
— nilay patel (@reckless) October 28, 2016
During Thursday’s MacBook event, Apple showed off two new LG displays, noting that it had worked with the South Korean firm to ensure the displays worked well with the new lineup of MacBook Pros, which also debuted on Thursday.
The two new displays will be available later this year. Both will offer Thunderbolt 3 connectivity, in order to offer a one cable solution for owners of the new MacBook Pro machines. Apple will sell both displays. The 4K model will go for $699.95, and the 5K model will run $1,299.95.
Apple got out of the monitor business in June, when it officially discontinued its long-in-the-tooth Thunderbolt Display, which hadn’t received an update in what seemed to be forever. Apple gave a hint that they were out of the business of creating standalone displays with its statement when announcing the Apple-branded display had been discontinued:
“We’re discontinuing the Apple Thunderbolt Display. It will be available through Apple.com, Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers while supplies last. There are a number of great third-party options available for Mac users,” said an Apple spokesperson.
Patel tweeted his comment about what Apple told him, in response to an article by Six Colors’ Jason Snell, 9to5Mac says they’ve reached out to Apple about the statement, but haven’t as yet received a reply.