If Apple’s iOS App Store is any indication, Amazon’s Alexa-powered devices – the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Show, and Echo Spot – were under plenty of trees on Christmas morning.
After presents were unwrapped across the world on Christmas morning, Amazon’s Alexa app [Direct Link] earned the #1 spot on the iOS App Store’s Top Free chart, suggesting Echo and other Alexa devices were very popular this holiday season (via TechCrunch).
The number 1 spot on the App Store charts was a first for the Alexa app. The app remained at the top of the list for most of the day. The app remains near the top of the list, as it was sitting at third place on Thursday morning.
Amazon announced yesterday that the Echo Dot was the #1 selling Amazon device during the 2017 holiday season, with millions of Echo Dots sold. It sounds as if it was a great holiday shopping season in general for Amazon devices.
Some stats included in Amazon’s press release:
Amazon Devices and Alexa
- It was a record holiday shopping season for Amazon Devices, with millions more devices purchased worldwide this year than last year’s holiday season.
- This holiday season was better than ever for the family of Echo products. The Echo Dot was the #1 selling Amazon Device this holiday season, and the best-selling product from any manufacturer in any category across all of Amazon, with millions sold.
- Customers purchased more than twice as many Amazon Fire TV Sticks compared to last year’s holiday season. Fire TV continues to be the #1 streaming media player family in the U.S., U.K., Germany, and Japan, across all retailers.
- It was the best holiday season ever for Fire Kids Edition Tablets with 2.4x as many devices purchased from Amazon.com compared to the same time period last year.
- Echo devices have been an extremely popular gift this year, with Echo Spot, Echo Dot and Echo Buttons selling out this holiday season; customers can still pre-order to reserve their place in line and orders will be filled on a first come, first served basis.
- This year, Kindle celebrated its 10th holiday season.
- This holiday, millions of Prime members voice shopped with Alexa for gifts, Amazon devices and everyday household essentials. The most popular items purchased by voice were the Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote and TP-Link Smart Plug Mini.
- Alexa helped mix tens of thousands of cocktails this holiday season with Martini and Manhattan being the most requested drinks.
- The recipe for chocolate chip cookies was the most requested recipe this holiday season.
- The most requested song from Alexa customers this holiday season was “Jingle Bells.”
- The East Coast was more in the holiday spirit this season, asking Alexa to play holiday music 2.5x as many times as the West Coast.
- Alexa customers turned on their holiday lights more than a million times via Alexa this holiday season.
- Alexa customers asked for tens of millions of jokes this holiday season.
- The most common person people called this holiday season was ‘Mom’ in the U.S. and Germany, and ‘Dad’ in the U.K.
- Music listening time on Alexa was 3x as much this holiday season compared to last holiday season.
- Customers wished Alexa a Merry Christmas, Happy holidays and Happy Hanukkah 3.5x more this year when compared to last year’s holiday season.
- People asked about Santa 4x as much this holiday season compared to last holiday season.
- Customers asked Alexa for cooking related advice more than 9x as much this year compared to last holiday season.
- The most requested movies this holiday season via Alexa were Trolls and Elf.
- Alexa on Fire TV is more popular than ever before, with usage in the United States up 889% over the same time period last year.
- Alexa customers set 3x as many timers this year compared to last holiday season.
“Since Day One we have obsessed over what we believe our customers care about – incredible deals and low prices, fast and free shipping, and a wide selection of top products – and we continue to provide all three, all the time. We’re excited that people continued to join Prime this holiday, to take advantage of more fast and free shipping options plus new convenient delivery like Amazon Key, as well as early access to Lightning Deals and unlimited streaming of TV shows and movies, including Prime Originals and more,” stated Jeff Wilke, CEO Worldwide Consumer. “Thank you to the millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of Amazon employees all around the world who made this holiday better than ever before. We look forward to another great year ahead.”