Netflix has long supported the downloading of movies and television shows for viewing without an internet connection. They have now added a “Smart Download” feature that will automatically delete the finished episode of a series and download the next episode of a series for viewing.
Netflix announced the launch of the feature on iOS today on their blog:
Today, we are excited to introduce Smart Downloads. Now, when you finish watching a downloaded episode, Smart Downloads will delete it, and then automatically download the next episode. You watch, we do the work.
The Smart Download feature can be manually toggled on and off, although there is no risk of using up your cellular data allotment, as the feature only engages when the device is connected to a Wi-Fi signal.
Turn Smart Downloads on or off from your Downloads section
- Tap the Downloads icon.
- From the top of the My Downloads section, select Smart Downloads.
- Use the toggle to turn Smart Downloads on or off.
Turn Smart Downloads on or off from App Settings
- Tap the Menu icon.
- Scroll down and select App Settings.
- Under the Downloads heading, use the toggle to turn Smart Downloads on or off.
Also, viewers with tight storage situations on their devices need not worry about using up precious storage space as the previous episode is deleted before the new episode is downloaded.
- You download Season 1, Episodes 1-3.
- You finish watching Season 1, Episode 1.
- Smart Downloads deletes Season 1, Episode 1, and automatically downloads Season 1, Episode 4.
There are two ways to toggle the feature on or off:
If you don’t see the new feature in Netflix on your device, make sure you have the latest version of the app.