Apple on Monday released to the public iOS 12.3, the third major update to their iOS 12 mobile operating system. iOS 12.3 includes AirPlay 2, which allows streaming of content from your iOS device to selected models of televisions from various manufacturers, and the new Apple TV app, which offers a fresh interface, and new functionality.
The iOS 12.3 update is available to all compatible devices as an over-the-air download by going to the Settings app and tapping “General” -> “Software Update.” If your compatible device isn’t showing the update as available, keep calm, it usually takes awhile for Apple to rollout major updates like this to everyone.
Apple TV App
The overhauled TV app offers the usual “Watch Now” and “Up Next” features, but also offers a new machine learning recommendation system that suggests custom content based on your viewing history and preferences.
The new app’s interface has been streamlined and includes sections for movie, TV shows, sports, and more. A navigation bar at the bottom of the screen offers tabs for Watch Now, Library, and Search.
A new “Channels” feature offers subscription services that can be signed up for and viewed from within the TV app with no need to open another app. Apple (of course) gets a cut of the subscription revenue form participating services.
New Channels that will be supported include CBS All Access, Starz, Showtime, HBO, Nickelodeon, Cinemax, Sundance, EPIX, Smithsonian, and many more.
iOS 12.3 also includes support for AirPlay 2-enabled TVs and features a redesigned Apple TV app. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements.
- AirPlay 2 now supports sharing videos, photos, music and more from your iPhone and iPad directly to your AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV
- One-tap playback automatically plays your chosen TV show or movie on the last screen you used based on time and location
- Siri Suggestions to watch movies and TV shows now include an option to AirPlay
- Intelligent suggestions are all done on-device so your personal information stays private
Apple TV app
- The Apple TV app features an all-new design that highlights expertly curated collections and personalized recommendations
- Apple TV channels offer subscriptions to HBO, Showtime, Starz, and more, available to watch directly in the Apple TV app, online or off
- Subscriptions to Apple TV channels can be shared with up to six family members, with no new apps, accounts, or passwords needed
- New release movies are available to buy or rent in the Apple TV app, including the full catalog of over 100,000 movies and the largest selection of 4K HDR titles
- A new dedicated kids section helps you discover editorially-handpicked shows and movies safe for kids of all ages
- The Apple TV app can now intelligently suggest playing to the most likely Apple TVs or AirPlay 2-enabled TVs nearby
This update also includes bug fixes and improvements. This update:
- Adds the ability to follow a magazine from the Apple News+ catalog browsing view
- Apple Music’s For You tab now updates multiple times a day suggesting music based on themes like genres, artists, and moods you love
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Apple TV Remote from pausing video, controlling video, or changing volume on supported receivers
- Addresses an issue that could cause calls made using Wi-Fi calling to drop
- Fixes an issue where song information from a connected iPhone may not appear in a car’s display