Apple on Monday released iOS 12.4 to the public. The update for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices includes a new “iPhone migration” feature that allows users to wirelessly migrate the information from their old iPhone to a new one during setup.
The update also includes enhancements to the Apple News+ service, and also includes improved security for iOS devices.
The iOS 12.4 update is available to all compatible devices as an over-the-air download by going to the Settings app and tapping “General” -> “Software Update.”
This update includes:
- Introduces the ability to wirelessly transfer data and migrate directly from an old iPhone to a new iPhone during setup
- Makes downloaded issues accessible in the My Magazines section, both online and offline
- Adds all publications in Apple News+, including newspapers, to the catalog at the top of the News+ feed
- Adds the ability to clear downloaded magazine issues by selecting History > Clear > Clear All
Other improvements and fixes
- Includes a security fix for the Walkie-Talkie app on Apple Watch and re-enables Walkie-Talkie functionality
This release also includes support for HomePod in Japan and Taiwan.
While support for Apple’s upcoming Apple Card credit card was expected to be a part of iOS 12.4, no mention of the feature was mentioned in the release notes. However, the update could include the framework for Apple Card, and Apple will announce the feature at a later date. We’ll keep you updated as we hear more.
Finally, iOS 12.4 is likely the last iOS update for these iPhones and iPads.