Apple today seeded the golden master of the tvOS 13 Apple TV operating system to developers. The new seed comes one week after the eleventh beta. The golden master is the same version as what will be released to the public.
The operating system, designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, can be downloaded onto an Apple TV that has a profile that’s been installed via Xcode.
tvOS 13 Features
- New Home screen. Apple TV 4K is even more engaging with a new Home screen designed for discovery. Apps can now play full-screen video previews on the Home screen, so users can quickly enjoy great new TV shows, movies, music and games.
- Multi-user support. The new Apple TV Control Center makes it easy to switch between family members so everyone gets their own personalized entertainment experience. Users see their unique Up Next list and receive TV and movie recommendations based on their tastes. The new Control Center also provides users with quick access to key Apple TV features, including system sleep and audio routing.
- Apple Music. Apple Music on tvOS 13 takes advantage of multi-user support, so everyone at home can easily play their personalized playlists and recommendations. In the new Control Center, users can quickly access the song that is currently playing. In addition, users can now follow along to onscreen lyrics timed in sync with their favorite songs.
- Apple Arcade. This fall, Apple Arcade comes to Apple TV 4K. With a single subscription, a family of six will have unlimited access to over 100 new and exclusive games, all with no ads or additional purchases, and many will offer support for game controllers. Customers will be able to play Apple Arcade games across iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac and Apple TV.
- Xbox and PlayStation game controllers. tvOS 13 adds support for the best and most popular game controllers in the world, Xbox One S and PlayStation DualShock 4, making it even easier for gamers to take advantage of Apple Arcade and other great games on the App Store.
- New screen savers. Apple is expanding the stunning collection of 4K HDR screen savers available on Apple TV 4K by taking viewers under the sea. Filmed in collaboration with the BBC Natural History Unit, the team behind “Blue Planet,” these immersive videos captured from the depths of oceans around the world showcase mesmerizing creatures and scenes.
Apple hasn’t yet announced the official release date for tvOS 13, but a GM release usually comes shortly before the pubic release. That indicates that it could be released on Tuesday, September 24 alongside iOS 13.1 and iPadOS.