Google Drive for Desktop is Google’s unified cloud backup application for both consumer and business users. The app has now been updated to provide full native support for Macs powered by M1 series Apple Silicon-based chip.
At the start of 2021, Google’s previous consumer-targeted app (Backup and Sync) was granted “improved Apple M1 support.” In February, the business-targeted Drive File Stream, which later became Drive for Desktop, gained “open beta” support for M1 hardware. A May update brought further improvements, but was still termed a “beta.”
October 14th, 2021 – Full Apple silicon (M1) Mac support
Windows and macOS: Version 52.0
- Implemented full support for Apple silicon (M1) Mac computers.
- Improved accessibility of folders and files created offline.
- Added support for some cameras to back up to Drive for desktop.
- Added ability to manage and purchase additional cloud storage from within Drive for desktop.
- Improved sync performance when connecting to a network after working offline.
- Improved progress messaging when uploading files to Drive for desktop from a USB device.
- Added ability to call SIP phones via Meet plug-in.