Apple today announced the winners of its third annual Apple Music Awards, recognizing the best artists of 2021 and their influence on global culture.
Apple awarded honors for Global Artist of the Year, Breakthrough Artist of the Year, Songwriter of the Year, Top Song of the Year, and Top Album of the Year. This year, the company also named five Regional Artists of the Year for Africa, France, Germany, Japan, and Russia.
“The past 12 months have proved to be a remarkable year for music, and we’re thrilled to honor the artists who are shaping culture and connecting with fans around the world on Apple Music,” said Oliver Schusser, Apple’s vice president of Apple Music and Beats. “This year we’re also recognizing more regional artists, showing the world the impact of extraordinary talented musicians who are making waves globally.”
Apple says that winners are chosen through a process that reflects both Apple Music’s editorial perspective and what customers around the world are listening to the most.
Each award features Apple’s custom silicon wafer suspended between a polished sheet of glass and a machined and anodized aluminum body.
The 2021 Apple Music Awards winners are:
- Global Artist of the Year: The Weeknd
- Breakthrough Artist of the Year: Olivia Rodrigo
- Top Album of the Year: SOUR by Olivia Rodrigo
- Top Song of the Year: drivers license by Olivia Rodrigo
- Songwriter of the Year: H.E.R.
- Artist of the Year (Africa): Wizkid
- Artist of the Year (France): Aya Nakamura
- Artist of the Year (Germany): RIN
- Artist of the Year (Japan): OFFICIAL HIGE DANDISM
- Artist of the Year (Russia): Scriptonite