An update for the HBO Max app for iOS and iPadOS is rolling out this week, bringing a revamped interface and several other new features designed to improve the iOS and iPadOS viewing experience.
As noted in the app updates press release, the app now offers an improved navigation system, performance and stability improvements, and more. The new features bring the iOS/iPadOS app more into line with the streamer’s recently updated Apple TV app.
New features available in the updated HBO Max mobile and desktop application include:
- Shuffle button functionality expansion to mobile devices. Previously only available on the desktop and CTV experiences, this feature gives users the ability to randomize the first episode that plays for select series on the platform.
- SharePlay support for iPhone and iPad users (U.S. only): Subscribers in the U.S. with an ad-free plan and an iPhone or iPad can now use SharePlay to watch their favorite HBO Max programs in sync with friends and family while on a FaceTime call.
- A dedicated home for downloaded content with improved performance and stability
- Tablet support for both landscape and portrait orientations
- An enhanced screen reader experience with improved navigation elements and functionality
- The ability to split screens with other apps on any behavior-supported mobile device
- Updated, intuitive navigation
- A refined design and visual styling to let content shine
- Chromecast stability improvements
U.S. HBO Max users who have an ad-free plan can use SharePlay on the iPhone or iPad to watch HBO content with friends and family over the FaceTime and Messages (iOS 16 only) apps.
The updated HBO Max app is now rolling out, so it may not yet be available on your device quite yet.