Apple held its “Far Out” media event earlier today, where it unveiled numerous new products, including the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max – powered by the A16 Bionic chip, the first-ever 48MP Main camera on iPhone featuring a quad-pixel sensor, and Photonic Engine, an enhanced image pipeline that improves low-light photos.
iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max will be available in four new colors: deep purple, silver, gold, and space black. Pre-orders begin Friday, September 9, with availability beginning Friday, September 16.
The iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max are available in 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch sizes. Both models include a new Super Retina XDR display with ProMotion that features the Always-On display for the first time ever on iPhone. The Always-On display is enabled by a new 1Hz refresh rate and multiple power-efficient technologies. The new Lock Screen keeps the time, widgets, and Live Activities available at a glance. The advanced display also brings the same peak HDR brightness level as Pro Display XDR: up to 2000 nits, which is twice as bright as iPhone 13 Pro.
Both models offer new safety capabilities, including Crash Detection and Emergency SOS via satellite, a first for smartphones.
All new iPhones feature the durable Ceramic Shield front cover, which Apple says is tougher than any other smartphone glass, and are protected from common spills and accidents with water and dust resistance.
Dynamic Island offers new ways to interact with iPhone, showing important alerts, notifications, and activities in real-time. The TrueDepth camera has been redesigned to take up less of the display area. Dynamic Island maintains an active state to allow users easier access to controls with a simple tap-and-hold. Ongoing background activities like Maps, Music, or a timer remain visible and interactive, and third-party apps in iOS 16 that provide information like sports scores and ride-sharing with Live Activities can take advantage of Dynamic Island.
The iPhone 14 Pro lineup features a new 48MP Main camera with a quad-pixel sensor that adapts to the photo being captured, and features second-generation sensor-shift optical image stabilization. The quad-pixel sensor also enables a 2x Telephoto option that uses the middle 12 megapixels of the sensor for full-resolution photos and 4K videos with no digital zoom.
The quad-pixel sensor optimizes for detail in ProRAW. iPhone now shoots ProRAW at 48MP with an unprecedented level of detail, enabling new creative workflows for pro users.
Additional pro camera system upgrades and features include:
- A new 12MP Ultra Wide camera with 1.4 µm pixels, which delivers sharper images with more detail, improving already powerful macro photography capabilities.
- An improved Telephoto camera that offers 3x optical zoom.
- A new front TrueDepth camera with an ƒ/1.9 aperture that enables better low-light performance for photos and video. Using autofocus for the first time, it can focus even faster in low light and capture group shots from farther away.
- A new Adaptive True Tone flash that has been completely redesigned with an array of nine LEDs that change pattern based on the chosen focal length.
- Powerful computational photography benefits like Night mode, Smart HDR 4, Portrait mode with Portrait Lighting, Night mode Portrait photos, Photographic Styles to personalize the look of every photo, and Apple ProRAW.
- A new Action mode for incredibly smooth-looking video that adjusts to significant shakes, motion, and vibrations, even when video is being captured in the middle of the action.
- Cinematic mode, now available in 4K at 30 fps and 4K at 24 fps.
- Pro-level workflows for video, including ProRes3 and end-to-end Dolby Vision HDR.
All iPhone 14 handsets offer new safety capabilities that can provide emergency assistance. A new dual-core accelerometer is capable of detecting G-force measurements of up to 256Gs and a new high dynamic range gyroscope allows Crash Detection to detect a severe car crash and automatically dial emergency services when a user is unconscious or unable to reach their iPhone.
The iPhone 14 barometer can now detect cabin pressure changes, the GPS offers additional input for speed changes, and the microphone can recognize loud noises such as those made by severe car crashes. Advanced Apple-designed motion algorithms trained with over a million hours of real-world driving and crash record data provide improved accuracy.
Crash Detection on the iPhone also works in conjunction with the Apple Watch, leveraging both devices to get a user help. When a severe crash is detected, the emergency services call interface will appear on Apple Watch, as it is most likely to be in closer proximity to the user, while the call is placed through iPhone if it is in range for the best possible connection.
All of the iPhone 14 lineup also debuts Emergency SOS via satellite, which connects directly to a satellite, enabling messaging with emergency services when outside of cellular or Wi-Fi coverage. When using Emergency SOS via satellite, the iPhone front-loads a few vital questions to assess the user’s situation and shows them where to point their phone to connect to a satellite.
The initial questionnaire and follow-up messages are then relayed to centers staffed by Apple-trained specialists who can call for help on the user’s behalf. iPhone 14 users can also manually share their location over satellite with Find My when there is no cellular or Wi-Fi connection. Emergency SOS via satellite will be available to users in the US and Canada in November, and the service will be free for two years.
Pricing and Availability
- iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max will be available in deep purple, silver, gold, and space black in 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB storage capacities.
- Customers in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, the UAE, the UK, the US, and 30 other countries and regions will be able to pre-order iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max beginning at 5 a.m. PDT on Friday, September 9, with availability beginning Friday, September 16.
- iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max will be available in Malaysia, Turkey, and 20 other countries and regions beginning Friday, September 23.
- Emergency SOS via satellite will be available starting in the US and Canada in November, and the service will be included for free for two years with the activation of iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.