Apple on Monday released iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 to all users with compatible iPhone models.
iOS 17 brings updates to the Phone, FaceTime, and Messages apps, easier sharing with AirDrop, and text input improvements that improve the speed and accuracy of typing. The new mobile OS also brings with it a new Journal app and a new StandBy feature that allows users to view glanceable information when the iPhone is sitting down while charging.
The iPhone Phone app allows users to create their own custom contact poster using your photos of Memoji. The custom representation will then display on other folks’ iPhones when you call them.
A new Live Voicemail feature displays real-time live voice transcription on your iPhone’s lock screen, allowing you to make an informed decision on whether or not to answer a phone call.
FaceTime gains a new feature allowing you to leave a video message if someone isn’t available to answer the video call. The FaceTime call recipient will be notified about the video message at their convenience, much like a voicemail message.
The Messages app receives multiple updates in iOS 17, including new search filters, a new “catch-up arrow” allowing you to quickly jump to the first unread message in a long conversation, and easier inline replying with swipe to reply.
Audio messages are now transcribed in the messages thread, and inline location sharing is also available. Check-In provides updates about your location, letting family or friends know when you arrive to your destination safely.
A new “plus” button provides access to apps within Messages and stickers have been revamped, allowing you to create your own stickers and create and add motion stickers from your own live photos.
AirDrop content can be shared by bringing two iPhones close together and transfers can now be conducted in the background. A new “NameDrop” feature allows users to share their contact info by bringing two iPhones close together.
A new “StandBy” mode displays the time, widgets, and other information when the iPhone is horizontal and is being charged.
Users can now simply utter “Siri” instead of the traditional “Hey Siri” command, users can issue follow-up commands that do not include the “Siri” trigger phrase.
iOS 17 Compatible handsets include:
- iPhone 15
- iPhone 15 Plus
- iPhone 15 Pro
- iPhone 15 Pro Max
- Phone 14
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone SE (2nd generation or later)
iPadOS 17 is compatible with the following iPad models:
- iPad Pro (2nd generation and later)
- iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
- iPad (6th generation and later)
- iPad mini (5th generation and later)
For more information about iOS 17 and iPadOS 17, click here.
Features That Didn’t Make Release
Apple’s all-new Journal app “lets you write about your experiences, find meaningful insights, and let journaling suggestions and writing prompts help you get started.” The app provides notifications when there are new suggestions for journals, allows you to add music and podcasts into your journal, and much more.
Collaborative Apple Music Playlists
The new Collaborative Playlists feature for Apple Music will allow multiple people to add, reorder, and edit a shared playlist.
AirDrop Transfers via the Internet
This feature allows AirDrop transfers to continue over the internet if and when you leave the traditional AirDrop range. This feature does require both you and the recipient to be signed in to an iCloud account.
Additional Features “Coming Later This Year”
- This feature provides the ability to react to a message with any sticker through the plus button or directly through the Tapback menu.
- The catch-up arrow – Allows users to easily jump to their first unread message in a group conversation by tapping the arrow visible in the top-right corner.
- Sync additional settings with Messages in iCloud, such as Text Message Forwarding, Send and Receive accounts, and SMS filters across devices.
- Play or pause a podcast or Apple News+ audio story from the Apple News widget.
- Favorite Songs playlist in Music app.
- Intelligent form detection and enhanced AutoFill for PDFs.
- Audio Focus feature for Apple Fitness+ prioritizing the volume of either the music or the trainers’ voices.
- Apple ID proximity sign-in allows users to bring an existing signed-in and trusted iPhone or iPad into
proximity, pair the devices by scanning a particle cloud, and be signed in automatically.