Apple today announced the 9.7-inch iPad Pro. The device, which starts at $599 for a 32GB model, weighs in at less than a pound, and boasts an A9X chip, a 12-megapixel back-facing camera with True Tone Flash with the ability to shoot 4K video at 30fps, and four-speaker stereo sound.
The new tablet also offers the same Smart Connector that is available on its larger sibling, offering compatibility with a Smart Keyboard created for the 9.7-inch tablet, as well as offering the same advanced display technology as the larger Pro, allowing for use with the popular Apple Pencil stylus.
The new tablet’s improved 12-megapixel camera offers Focus Pixels for faster focusing, an improved image signal processor, advanced noise reduction, and more. it offers support for 4K video, 63-megapixel panoramas, and Live Photos. It includes a rear-facing flash, a first for any iPad. The front-facing camera gets improved also, with a 5-megapixel FaceTime HD camera with a front-facing Retina Flash feature.
Apple says the new iPad Pro offers advanced display technologies, including True Tone display, which uses four-channel sensors to dynamically adjust the white balance of the display to match the light around you for a more natural and accurate, paper-white viewing experience. The display is 25% brighter, and 40% less reflective then the ipad Air 2, making it easier to view, indoors and out. The new display also takes advantage of iOS 9.3’s Night Shift feature, which uses the iPad Pro’s clock and geolocation to automatically adjust the colors in the display to the warmer end of the spectrum after dark, possibly helping users get a better night’s sleep.
“iPad Pro is a new generation of iPad that is indispensable and immersive, enabling people to be more productive and more creative. It’s incredibly fast, extremely portable, and completely natural to use with your fingers, Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard. And now it comes in two sizes,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “The 9.7-inch iPad Pro has a new Retina display with True Tone technology, four-speaker audio system, blazing fast A9X chip, 12-megapixel iSight camera, 5-megapixel FaceTime HD camera, faster wireless, and support for Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard. It is the ultimate upgrade for existing iPad users and replacement for PC users.”
Pricing & Availability
- The 9.7-inch iPad Pro comes in silver, space gray, gold and a new rose gold metallic finish, and starts at $599 (US) for the 32GB with Wi-Fi model and $729 (US) for the 32GB Wi-Fi + Cellular model. Both iPad Pro sizes are available in offerings of 32GB, 128GB and a new 256GB capacity, the highest of any iOS device. For more information, visit www.apple.com/ipad.
- The 9.7-inch iPad Pro will be available to order beginning Thursday, March 24, from Apple.com, and in Apple’s retail stores, through select carriers and Apple Authorized Resellers on Thursday, March 31, in Australia, Canada, China (Wi-Fi models only), France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore, the UK, US Virgin Islands and the US.
- The 9.7-inch iPad Pro will be available in early April in Albania, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Cayman Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Greenland, Guam, Guatemala, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Macau (Wi-Fi models only), Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand (Wi-Fi models only), Turkey and UAE.
- Apple Pencil is available for $99 (US) and Smart Keyboard in charcoal gray for $149 (US). The Polyurethane iPad Pro Smart Cover and Silicone Cases for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro are available for $49 (US) and $69 (US), respectively, in a range of new vibrant colors.
- The Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader is available for $29 (US), Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter for $39 (US), Apple 29W USB-C Power Adapter for $49 (US), Lightning to USB-C Cable (1 m.) for $25 (US) and Lightning to USB-C Cable (2 m.) for $35 (US).