Amazon has launched Chime a new VoIP call and video messaging platform, aimed at business users. The platform is compatible across multiple platforms, including Mac, iOS, Windows, and Android.
In addition to offering video conferencing and chat messaging, Amazon Chime also allows users to share content across multiple platforms and allows users to host or join a “meeting” with a single click.
Amazon Chime offers the following benefits:
- Like being in the same room, even when miles apart: Amazon Chime uses noise-cancelling wideband audio to deliver high-quality audio and crisp, clear HD video to make it easier to have real conversations in a meeting. And with Amazon Chime, video works great across all user devices and many conference room video systems with no upgrades required.
- On-time meetings that can be joined with a single-click: Dialing into meetings has never been easier. Instead of trying to type in those hard-to-remember multi-digit pins, Amazon Chime calls participants when it is time for the meeting to start and lets them join with a single-click. And, those who are running behind can tap a “running late” button to automatically notify everyone in the meeting.
- The end of “who just joined?”: Once in the meeting, the app provides a visual roster that allows users to see exactly who has joined, who is running late, and who can’t make it. It also allows everyone to see who is talking or where background noise is coming from – no more barking dogs or loud typists – and anyone on the call can easily mute that participant.
- Work from anywhere: The app was built for mobile use from day one. With easy-to-use apps for Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows, Amazon Chime keeps meetings and chats synchronized across devices, and users can join meetings from any device and easily switch devices – even in the middle of a meeting.
- Sharing made easy: When in a meeting, anyone can share their screen, instantly, without asking a host to “pass the ball,” or jump to a different application. For ongoing collaboration outside of meetings, Amazon Chime offers chat rooms that allow people to work together in a single place, securely storing chat history and files for ongoing reference.
Chime is a More Reliable Alternative to Services Like Skype
Amazon says the new service is a more reliable, premium alternative to existing VoIP services, such as Microsoft’s Skype. The company says the service focuses on making core communications services easily accessible via one interface.
Amazon Chime is available in three versions:
- Amazon Chime Basic Edition is free and lets users attend meetings, call another person using voice or video, and use Amazon Chime’s messaging and chat capabilities.
- Amazon Chime Plus Edition adds user management, such as the ability to manage an entire e-mail domain, disable accounts, or configure Active Directory, as well as 1GB per user of message retention – all for $2.50 per user, per month.
- Amazon Chime Pro Edition adds the ability to host meetings with screen sharing and video for up to 100 users and also includes support for mobile, laptop, and in-room video along with unlimited VoIP support – all for $15 per user, per month.
Chime for Mac, iOS, Android, and Windows is available to download here.