How To Use FaceTime Over 3G Without Jailbreaking!

How To Use FaceTime Over 3G Without Jailbreaking!

A common frustration among users of FaceTime capable iOS devices is the inability to use FaceTime over 3G, which some feel greatly diminishes the usability of the service in the real world. In Apple’s defense, this wasn’t their decision, but rather the collective decision of the carriers in order to prevent network congestion.

There is good news, however – there is a way to enable you to use FaceTime over 3G without jailbreaking! The trick involves using the iPhone’s Personal Hotspot feature to trick the device into thinking it is on WIFI. Basically, if you have iOS 4.3 or later (pretty much everybody), and use another iPhone 4, iPad 2, or iPod Touch to connect to it, you can use FaceTime over 3G. It’s a simple matter of creating a layer between your device and the 3G network by using the Wifi hotspot.

I personally plan on using this to avoid purchasing a 3G iPad – instead, I’ll simply bridge the connection from my iPhone over to it, and get the best of both worlds without having to pay a lot of extra cash.

What do you think? Is this something you would take advantage of? Sound off in the comments!

1. Louis Vella says:

I have had exactly the same thought! Should I buy one of these amazing bits of kit when they hit the shelves here in the UK that's exactly what I will be doing! I will just connect the iPad 2 to my iPhone 4's hotspot! =D

2. Rodolfo says:

But with the wifi iPad you will miss the internal GPS…

3. ipad 2 says:

that's very good idea thanks for sharing this Cool news…

4. gepoc says:

already thought about it since hotspot feature was introduced!! but i wonder if apple has already put that into equation since both are running iOS so its pretty simple for them to put block it.

5. Ella says:

What!!!!!!!! I did not understand that

1. Nitin Jain says:

Hello! Ella,,
      I am Nitin Jain from India. I was also facing same problem!! I put in New Delhi, India. But i use to travel a lot cause of my work. And finding Wifi in India is not an easy stuff.
      ——So I found the solution——
      I believe, person having iPhone’s must be apple freak and it’s obvious that you people carry your own MacBook’s.Here you Go if you got one for yourself->
      1. Open Personal Hotspot in your iPhone.
      Note: Close the Wifi before you open it. And ask it to use over Bluetooth or USB.
      2. Then Open Mac’s Preference’s Panel.
      3. Open Sharing
      4. Select Internet Sharing
      Note: Don’t Mark it. Just open it.
      5. On above selection : Choose the source of Internet in your Mac. Say: If you are using iPhone USB then select it.
      6. On below selection : Select Wifi(Mark it)
      7. You can set password for sharing the Internet.
      (Recommended; People surround may use it.)
      8. Now, open your iPhone: Turn on the Wifi.
      9. Select your own Mac.
      10. IT’s done.Now actually you are using your 3G connection.It’s completely working fine but it’s expensive…

6. Vishal says:

Sorry to say the hotspot service requires a new 4gig data plan. For extra fee of 45$s. This is a real bummer as we have to know lose my unlimited data plan and pay more for limited service. Not cool

7. Mubarak says:

FaceTime on 3G without jailbreak. I updated to 4.3 and switched personal Hotspot on and tried to place a call but it didn't work.

8. John says:

Im going the other way, original ipad 3G, with hotspot on so I can use my iphone tethered to it.
    Annoying for the rest of the world just because AT&T didnt want to carry the traffic.
    I'm paying for all my data, so why cant I use it for whatever the hell I want. Im not paying $90/mnth just to do SMTP and HTTP. Skype works fine, but the wife and kids don't have their own accounts, where as Facetime can be set up with multiple email addresses on my mac, so it might be signed in with my itunes account, but will ring if I call my wife's email address, or my work or personal address.

9. Billy says:

I love FaceTime me and my girl have sextime all the time it's awesome but I want 3G!!!!!!!!! So we can have sextime anywhere!!!

1. Alex says:

envy you young people 🙂

2. Alex says:

🙂
      Facetime Sextime

10. Goldiepitch says:

no it is not, because if you go over 2 gigs on personal hotspot than you have to pay an extra 20 dollars each gig you go over.

11. Alanlittle says:

Does this work? Has it been tested? I have mywi on a jailbroken 4. I’m tired of being jailbroken since I don’t have time keep up with the updates. I want to tether though without paying that stupid fee.

12. Shai says:

So, instead of simply jailbreaking it – you suggest we buy another whole iDevice…
    LOL thats rich!

13. Steven Ray says:

The answer to FaceTime over 3G is the free service called Skype! 😉

1. Manish Rana says:

Try comparing them first.

14. charli says:

So do you need two devices to do this??? I do this to tether my ipad to my iphone all the time, spewing I paid for 3G ipad now!!! However, my husband who will be receiving the facetime not in WiFi has only got his iphone. Will it work? I am confused.

15. Eliseballinger says:

Steven ray you have the right idea Skype rocks!!!!

16. Nick says:

No I jailbreak and do it over 3g

17. Joachim says:

Thats just ridiculous… Solution is to use an app that accomodates your needs – they’re easily accessible. When Apple fixes this, then we can use FaceTime (cause apart from this Its great)…!!

18. PdoijfodIF says:

how do u do this?

19. JasonStapleton says:

I actually tried the teather idea. I purchased an iPad2 wifi and figured id use my iPhone4 as a hotspot. Yes, it worked, but I had to “up” my data plan in order to use the hotspot feature which bumped my bill up $16.00. The 3G data plan for ipad is $20.00. It wasnt worth saving $4.00 to be stuck within 5 feet of my iphone to use my ipad. It actually works good. Its a little slow but works good just the same. But I have to say the 3G ipad data plan is the only way to go.

20. Digital says:

att is being so unfair to its loyal individual data customers. i cant use facetime on 3g either and i am pissed off !!! at att !!! been a loyal customer for years and now that i can have facetime on 3g att is restricting it unless you switch to the over priced family share plans !!! so unfair to loyal att customers!!! well looks like i will be another customer that ditches att for sprint or verizon. at least they are letting thier customers use the facetime on 3g without penalties

21. Brandon says:

I’ll try it but how does the hotspot work? email me and explain please? B.Space663@hotmail.com

22. 287672 708056really good put up, i certainly love this web internet site, maintain on it 487328

23. 961300 828094Wow you hit it on the dot we shall submit to Plurk in addition to Squidoo effectively done انواع محركات الطائرات | هندسة نت was wonderful 415826

24. 698815 288956Taylor Lautner By the way you might want to look at this cool site I found 323860

25. carding shop says:

291629 838620Having been simply looking at helpful weblog articles with regard to the project research when My partner and i happened to stumble on yours. Thanks for this practical data! 889092

26. 툰코 says:

404201 1113Wow! This could be 1 particular with the most beneficial blogs Weve ever arrive across on this topic. Basically Excellent. Im also an expert in this topic therefore I can comprehend your effort. 385482

27. 976892 723830Extremely interesting subject , appreciate it for putting up. 6004

28. blogs10 says:

825217 97447There is noticeably a lot to know about this. I believe you produced some nice points in functions also. 354088

29. 30250 870405Hi there for your individual broad critique, then once again particularly passionate the recent Zune, and additionally intend this specific, not to mention the beneficial feedbacks other sorts of everybody has posted, will determine if is it doesnt answer youre looking for. 857390

30. cheap cvv says:

846530 344013Hello. fantastic job. I did not imagine this. This is a excellent story. Thanks! You produced certain fine points there. I did a search on the subject matter and discovered the majority of folks will have exactly the same opinion together with your blog. 169035

31. winbir says:

winbir ile kazanmaya devam.