Avast recently released a beta of their Mac OS X anit-virus checker. The beta app, which can be download here (direct link) features a File Shield, Web Shield, and Mail Shield, to provide you with a thorough level of protection for your Mac. This version is a rewrite of their existing anti-virus software for Mac.
A date for official release is not yet known but Avast confirmed that the app will be a free download.
This is a timely announcement for Mac users after the recent Mac Defender exploit and the possible emergence of more malicious attacks on OS X as the platform continues to grow in popularity.
Full feature list at the drop…
From the announcement:
We’re glad to announce a new major version of “avast! Free Antivirus for Mac”. The current popularity of Apple products also makes them more interesting for the bad guys so we thought it would be good to prepare for the battle sooner rather than later. The new version has been almost totally reworked compared with our previous solution for the Mac OS.
We’re kicking off with three shields and an on-demand scan. The Web Shield together with the Mail Shield will check the vast majority of incoming data from the Internet. avast! Free Antivirus for Mac is also equipped with a File Shield, which scans all programs stored and executed from your hard drive. Everything is packed in a brand new GUI and is now available as a public beta.
- On-demand scanning: It’s possible to scan the whole file system, network volumes or a mounted removable volume. You can also run a custom scan. Scan reports are automatically archived and are accessible from the GUI at anytime.
- On-screen alerts: Alert messages are displayed on-screen whenever a threat is detected.
- File Shield: The File Shield scans the binaries of started applications and all files at the time they are modified.
- Web Shield: The Web Shield monitors and filters all HTTP traffic coming from web sites on the Internet. Connections from your web browser are redirected to the Web Shield module. The Web Shield in turn connects to the requested web server and while downloading the content, it simultaneously scans it for viruses and Trojans. Only clean data is delivered to the browser, all malware is stopped before it gets saved on your Mac.
- Mail Shield: The Mail Shield monitors and filters all POP3 and IMAP traffic coming from mail servers on the internet. It does not prevent saving of infected files (doing so could lead to irreversible data loss), it just detects them. The File Shield prevents any infected attachments from causing harm to your system.
- Automatic updates: The scanning engine is automatically updated with our regular VPS database updates.