Flipboard (free, App Store), the renowned magazine-like social news app for iPad, has finally come to the iPhone with a new universal version for all devices. The update also includes several other exciting new features, such as cover stories, Flipboard accounts, and more.
Flipboard allows users to collect information from various sources including social networks, news sites, and blogs, presenting the content in an easy-to-browse magazine style.
Even Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller has given the app his endorsement, posting a rare Tweet this morning saying that the new iPhone version of Flipboard is “very nice.”
New and Notable in Version 1.7
- New iPhone edition puts the power of Flipboard in your pocket.
- Cover Stories for iPhone, a selection of interesting articles and photos being shared with you right now. And it gets smarter every time you use it. (Coming soon to iPad.)
- Speed. Flip through pages as you would through a printed magazine, all with the flick of a thumb.
- Flipboard Accounts:
- 1. Sign into your Flipboard from either iPhone or iPad and get instant access to all your favorite content.
- 2. Check out All Timelines. Flip through a single feed containing all articles and all photos being shared across all your social networks.
- Content Guide: Browse recommended reading. Use + to add to your Flipboard.
- Search Bar: Find social conversations, posts and feeds from any person or publication and on any topic. For example, search “Cinemagraph” and get results from Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, RSS and Instagram.
- Share Everywhere: Just one tap to share, like or comment to add to the conversation on the social network an item was posted to.
- Fast Flip: Scan through pages as quickly as you can with just a flick of a thumb.
- Read later: Use Instapaper or Read It Later to mark stories you want to save.
The updated version of Flipboard, complete with iPhone support, is available now, and new users can download the app for free from the iTunes App Store (free, App Store link).