Apple’s 2012 Q3 earnings call was held today, and many interesting facts and figures were tossed about. Let’s see if we can put them in some kind of order for you, random as that order may be…
- Quarterly revenue of $35.0 billion.
- Quarterly net profit of $8.8 billion, or $9.32 per diluted share.
- These results compare to revenue of $28.6 billion and net profit of $7.3 billion, or $7.79 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter.
- Gross margin was 42.8 percent compared to 41.7 percent in the year-ago quarter.
- International sales accounted for 62 percent of the quarter’s revenue.
- Apple now has an amazing $117 billion in cash reserves, compared to the $110 billion reported last quarter.
- The board has declared a cash dividend of $2.65 per share.
- 26.0 million iPhones were sold in the quarter, representing 28 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter.
- 17.0 million iPads were sold during the quarter, an 84 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter.
- 4.0 million Macs were sold during the quarter, a two percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter.
- 6.8 million iPods were sold during the quarter, a 10 percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter.
- Apple sold 1.3 million Apple TV’s, 4 million so far in the fiscal year. Nice hobby.
iTunes Store / iTunes U:
- Revenue of over $1.8 billion.
- iTunes Store was launched in 12 countries this quarter, including Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan.
- There have been 14 million downloads of the iTunes U app since January.
- Over 750 new iTunes U courses have been published.
- There are more than 650,000 apps available in the App Store, and more than 225,000 for iPad.
- Apple has paid over $5.5 billion in payments to developers
iPhone and iPad Stats:
- Apple added several small regional carriers during the quarter and now have iPhone distribution in more than 250 carrier.
- Apple estimates the number of iPhones in Fortune 500 has more than doubled in the last year.
- Sold more than 2x as many iPads as Macs to US educational institutions.
- Apple estimates the number of iPads in enterprise has more than tripled in the last year in the Fortune 500.
- British Airways has incorporated thousands of iPads across their business.
- Combining iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple surpassed 410 million cumulative iOS device sales, selling more than 45 million in the June quarter.
- Since the launch of iCloud in October, more than 150 million users are using it.
Apple Retail Stores:
- Revenue was $4.1 billion, an increase of 17% from the year-ago quarter.
- Stores sold 791,000 Macs, compared to 768,000 a year ago.
- There were 83 million visitors to our Apple Stores during the quarter, compared to 74 million in the year ago quarter.
- Average of 17,000 visitors per store per week.
- Total gross margin was 42.8 percent. Strong mix of iPad sales, higher mix of lower-priced iPhones, and stronger US dollar were the mix that affected this number.