When I was a child I lost three bikes to theft. Maybe that’s why this week’s Kickstarter project caught my eye.
The BikeSpike protects your bike with what they claim is the world’s smallest GPS chipset with a built-in antenna, an on-board accelerometer, and a connection to a global cellular network. The BikeSpike attaches to your bike and alerts you if someone takes off with your bike, and also allows you to track it much like Find My iPhone does for your iOS device.
According to the BikeSpike website, the device does the following:
- Monitor your bike’s location on a map using your phone or computer, (native iOS and android app included)
- Collision detection system can alert key members of your contact list and share the location of an accident.
- Grant temporary access to local law enforcement, helping increase the chances of recovery.
- Digitally “lock” your bike and receive a notification if your bike moves from it’s geo-fenced location or if someone even tampers with it
- Share your stats (distance, speed, and courses…) with friends, coaches and spectators.
- Monitor your children and get notified if they ride out of their safe zone.
- Our open API allows developers to create gaming and fitness apps that you can download and use with the device or use the data created from the BikeSpike to integrate with the existing apps you already love. Export a GPX file.
- PLUS, with the Hacker Pack, you can connect it to a motorcycle or other on-board batteries for a continual charge.
The BikeSpike comes with 1 or 2 years of pre-enrolled cellular device for the device to stay in touch. Two levels of cellular service are available for the BikeSpike.
The ‘Urban Commuter’: It is an essential piece of the BikeSpike, empowering the device to report your daily rides and assist with recovery when stolen.
The ‘Pro Plan’ gives you all of the benefits of the ‘Urban Commuter’ plan plus the power to activate live updates while training and racing. You can also publish your ride and create public races against other users. The Pro Plan also unlocks essential tools for use by coaches and for fleet management operations.
After the Kickstarter promotional period ends, the cellular service will be available for standard rates.
The BikeSpike can send alert to members of your contacts lists in the event of an accident, act as a digital guard waiting alert you if your bike is disturbed, and give your bike a good chance at being recovered.
The BikeSpike lasts about a month in between charges for casual riders, A notification can be set up to let you know when the battery level gets down to a certain level. The device simply charges using an AC wall charger.
The BikeSpike Kickstarter project of course has various levels of pledges, and rewards range from a hardy thank you, all the way up to a racing bike with the BikeSpike integrated into the frame.
If you’re a biker, I highly recommend checking out the BikeSpike Kickstarter page.
Have you seen, or even better yet do you have, a current Kickstarter or Indiegogo project you’d like us to check out? If you do then drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell me all about the project, and why you think it would make a good subject for a future Kickstarter/Indiegogo Project of the Week. If I agree, I’ll contact you for more information.