Facebook released a major new version of their iOS app today, bringing the ability to access new feeds, such as Music, Photos and Games, the ability to send virtual stickers alongside your messages, and, most notable, the inclusion of the new Chat Heads feature introduced with the recent launch of Facebook Home for Android phones.
Chat Heads is a new Facebook messaging feature that allows you to view your open chats no matter where you are in the app. The messages appear as bubbles with your friends heads inside them, and you can drag them around your screen, or click on them to view the message. The Verge has a great hands-on video showing the feature in action:
From the release notes:
What’s New in Version 6.0
- Brand new ways to chat and a cleaner look for News Feed.New for iPhone
- Keep chatting from anywhere in the app with chat heads • Send stickers to liven up your messages
- Explore new feeds like Music, Photos and GamesNew for iPad
- Keep chatting from anywhere in the app with chat heads
- Browse brighter, more beautiful stories
Chat heads and stickers will be available to everyone over the next few weeks.
Facebook is slowly rolling out Chat Heads to all users, starting today. The new feature requires the latest version of Facebook for iOS to be installed on your device. As always, the update is available as a free download from the App Store – go get it!
Facebook for iOS (direct link)