Microsoft has released Office Mobile for Office 365 for the iPhone. The app allows Office 365 subscription users to access Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents from their iPhone. No native version for the iPad has as yet been released.
With Microsoft’s Office Mobile, users can view documents stored in Microsoft’s SkyDrive, SkyDrive Pro or SharePoint, as well as read and edit Office docs sent as email attachments. Additionally, owners of Windows machines can remotely access documents that were recently viewed on a desktop client.
Another feature only for PC users is “Resume Reading,” which allows users that also have a Windows computer or tablet to open Word documents from SkyDrive or SkyDrive Pro and automatically jump to a spot in the document where they left off on their computer or tablet. (Microsoft Office 2013 for PC is required for recent document and resume reading features.)
Microsoft says documents receive “optimization” before being viewed on the iPhone, and supports for charts, animations, shapes, and SmartArt Graphs is built-in. The app also includes a PowerPoint Slide Navigator, and includes a function to assist in presentation practice.
Features from the App Store app description include:
Make quick edits and share:
- Edit – You can make quick edits to Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents.
- Documents Remain Intact – Formatting and content remain intact when you edit Word, Excel, or PowerPoint documents on your phone.
- Edit While Offline – Your device doesn’t have to be continuously connected to the network to work on an Office document that is stored online. You can view and edit recently used documents even while you’re offline. Your changes will be saved online when your device reconnects to the network or to Wi-Fi.
- Create – You can create new Word and Excel documents on your phone.
- Comments – You can review comments that have been made in Word and Excel documents on your phone and add your own comments.
- Share – When you’re done with your edits or comments, simply send the document in email or save it to SkyDrive or SharePoint.
Office Mobile 365 is available from the App Store for the iPhone. [DIRECT LINK] You must be an existing Office 365 subscribers.