iOS 7: All About Notification Center

iOS 7: All About Notification Center

Notification Center was first introduced with iOS 5. In its infancy, it was intended mostly as a central location to view notifications from your apps. The debut of iOS 7 sees Notification Center becoming so much more. Let’s take a look…

Notification_Center_iOS7

The Notification Center can be viewed from almost any screen, including the lock screen. You can however, disable that option in Settings -> Notification Center.

To view Notification Center, simply pull down from the top center of your iOS device’s screen, and it will slide into view. The Notification pane contains three tabs: Today, All, and Missed, as seen in the screenshots above. You can move between the three tabs by either tapping the header of the tab, or by swiping horizontally between the three available sections.

You’ll find the Today tab (first tab on the left), to be quite customizable. You can set what details show in this tab in the Notification Centers settings. Optionally, you can control if this tab will display the calendar view, reminders, stocks, weather, and the tomorrow preview, among other info.

The All tab, (the middle tab), acts most like the Notification Center did in previous versions. It displays all your app notifications grouped according to app. Changes you might notice is that the ability to post to Twitter and Facebook is missing, and also the stock and weather info doesn’t appear here, it’s in the “Today” tab.

The final tab, “Missed,” collects every notification you don’t see and act on, and displays them sorted in reverse chronological order. The older notifications fall off the bottom of the screen after 24 hours. Basically think of the Missed tab as a backup of sorts for your lock screen alerts.

Notification Center is much improved in iOS 7, and should help you keep a little better handle on your day. I’ve found that it’s quite handy to have most of the information you need to access during the day available without having to unlock my iPhone and access it directly from an app.

Still exploring iOS 7 on your device, or you haven’t yet installed it and want to learn more about it? Make sure to check out our full iOS 7 coverage roundup for all the details regarding iOS 7, and all of our iOS 7 launch coverage for today and the near future!

1. adswens says:

I can’t include weather in my notification center. It’s not an option got the today tab, or all or missed. Stocks is an option, but shy did they take away weather from the notifications?

1. MG says:

I had the same issue. I just ran the iOS weather app… And weather notifications started coming up. Not sure on what exactly happened.
      PS: I had weather notifications disabled before iOS7 installation

2. Foggy says:

My calendar all-day events are not showing up in notification center

1. Jennifer M. says:

Yes I’m having this problem too. Glad it’s not just me. Hopefully they’ll fix this soon!!

1. Tbyrd says:

Me too. No calender events… This is a problem for me as I relied on this feature on the previous iOS.

2. Mike says:

Me too, very annoying as I use this type for events quite a lot.

3. BmanBrad says:

Same issue as one of the other posts I don’t get a weather outlook in notification center either and there is not an option to add that. Everything else
    Seems better and faster though!

4. lmz says:

I don’t have anything available in the Today View….not weather, stocks, calendar, nothing…..I am very disappointed!!!!!

1. JW says:

I am havin the same issue. Nothing shows up in today view and in Settings there are no options to toggle anything off/on. What is the issue here?

5. jack says:

is there any fix to get the ‘all day’ events to show up in notification center??? am desperate! my sales team uses it to see who is and who is not working that day!

6. Belloso says:

I don’t see the Twitter or Facebook posts in the Today view.

1. Melanco says:

That has been taken off the notification center. You can ask siri, however.

2. Melanco says:

That has been taken off the notification center. You can ask siri, however.

7. bob says:

i couldn’t get the weather to show up either and then i went to the weather app that comes with the iphone, opened it and clicked on my location. from then on, it has been showing up in my notification center

1. Alison says:

This worked for me! Thanks!!

2. chris says:

worked! thank you!

3. SnoBoy says:

In my case, I had to enable location services for Yahoo!

4. Tim says:

After hours of searching I found it. Go to location services and turn it on for the weather. 🙂

1. Rob says:

Thank you!! This was my missing piece.

5. cantuCCFD says:

I was wondering whether the weather info had gone in notification center, but then I realized that if you tap on the generalized weather forecast text (ie. “shower conditions with 23 mph winds from the north”) it will actually take you directly to the weather app for the detailed view. Nice.

8. sunny says:

If your weather isn’t showing in notification center, enable the weather app to track your location. Go to: Settings>Privacy>Location Services & set your weather app to on.

9. Greg says:

To all those having issues with weather info not showing up in the notification center – make sure you have locations services turned on for weather or it will not show in the notification center.

1. M says:

This did not work for me. Location services are currently on for everything.

10. Arron says:

How do get the all day event to show on my notification screen?

11. noregister says:

would absolutely prefer that a list of the day’s activities including all day events showed up in the notification screen. I’m just seeing events for the next 5 hours or so…. would prefer to see a list of my whole day at once.

12. Tammy says:

I got weather to show up by…. Turning off location for weather, pulling down notification and selecting weather all the way at the bottom. This will open up a weather webpage ( for me it was yahoo!). Select yes when it asks for your location. I then opened native weather app, seeing that my local location was not showing since I turned off location. Then went into location services again and turned weather back on. Not sure what step did it…. But it is now showing for me.

13. jb says:

None of my app notifications are showing up in the “Today” tab. I am not receiving my notifications from several new apps as well. Is anybody having the same issue?

1. MBS says:

None of my app notifications are showing up on the All page in notification center. It’s driving me crazy. It would work once until I cleared it w the x at the side like I always did on the old os, then they don’t show up again. I just want to clear that one notification, not prevent it from showing up ever again. Suggestions?

14. NYSToMnd says:

My CALENDAR!!!! I want to be able to change the calendar view in the lockscreen. Whether it’s the next 10 events or the next 10 days, I was able to do this in iOS 6.

15. Andrew Paulus says:

ATTENTION! I had the same problem as everyone else (not a single thing would show up in the ‘Today’ view in the control center) and I found the fix. If nobody else’s tips worked for you, do the following:
    1. Go to Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> Switch to the ‘off’ position.
    2. Restart device (keep Location Services off)
    3. Go back to Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> and turn the switch back into the ‘on’ position.
    4. Swipe down from the top of the screen, and you should be able to see everything in the ‘Today’ view including the weather, the calendar, stocks, and more. Enjoy!

1. Michal says:

works perfectly, thank you!!!

1. Karyle says:

I have tried all these suggestions. The very fist time I swiped down to open the notifications center, I had weather. Now, no matter what I do I cannot get it back. Driving me crazy

2. CoasterDude says:

I tried numerous other suggestions from this site but this is the one that did the trick! Thanks!

3. Lace says:

Worked like a charm! Thanks!

16. Mine says:

My sns notification are gone after i upgraded to ios7

17. Madeline snow says:

When I pull down my noticficatin on my lock screen or my home screen it turns out black and I don’t like it. How can I change it?!’I went looking through my settings in general but I found nothing. Could anyone help me?