Awhile back we showed you how to block unwanted messages and calls in iOS 7. But what if you’re working on your Mac and the messages are still coming through via Messages for Mac? Here’s how to block unwanted messages in OS X.
First, you’ll want to make sure you’re running the latest version of OS X, version 10.9.2, Mavericks. If you currently have OS X Mountain Lion or OS X Lion installed, you can upgrade to Mavericks free via the Mac App Store.
Blocking iMessage Senders in OS X
- Load the Messages app on your Mac. Now, click on “Preferences,” in the Messages menu.
- Click on the “Accounts” tab, and in the left pane, you should see your iMessages account. Click on your account.
- Click the “Blocked” tab. If you’ve already blocked anyone on your iOS device, you should see a list of those people and their phone numbers here.
- Click the “+” button that is just below the blocked list.
- Select the person you wish to block from your Contacts list by clicking on them from this list.
When you block a contact, they aren’t notified that you blocked them. A few of them may get a little curious as to why you’re not answering their messages though…
Unblocking an iMessage Sender in OS X
If you change your mind, and you want to unblock someone that you’ve previously blocked, it’s easy to do.
- Go back into “Preferences” in the Messages menu, and click the “Accounts” tab.
- Select your iMessage account from the left pane, then click the “Blocked” tab.
- Click the user you want to unblock, and then press the “-” button at the bottom of the blocked list.
Just like that, messages will once more come through from the formerly blocked contact.
Helpful hint: If you just need some quiet time, and don’t want to be bothered by any notifications or messages, you can turn on “Do Not Disturb” on your Mac.
Just click the Notifications icon in the upper right hand corner of the menu bar, and then pull down on the notification screen that slides in. You’ll see a toggle switch to turn DND on/off right there.
Don’t worry if you forget to turn DND off, it will turn itself off the next day.