Amazon has announced that its Amazon Fire TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick will be receiving new features in the coming weeks.
The new features include expandable USB storage for the Fire TV, allowing users to store downloaded apps and games on a USB stick for expanded storage.
The updates will also allow both streaming devices to connect to Wi-Fi networks that requires web authentication—this includes the Wi-Fi at many major hotels, as well as some universities.
The Fire TV will also gain private listening via bluetooth headphones, perfect for those late night viewing or listening sessions. And for those listening sessions, Amazon is also adding the ability to Prime playlists.
New features coming as part of the free, over-the-air software update include:
- Expandable USB storage on Amazon Fire TV—You can now use a connected USB mass storage device to expand your Fire TV storage for downloaded apps and games—this enables you to have more games downloaded for easy access
- Connect to your hotel or dorm room Wi-Fi with captive portal support out of the box—Take your favorite movies, TV shows, games, and more with you away from home—Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick are the first streaming media devices to enable you to connect to Wi-Fi that requires web authentication—this includes Wi-Fi at most major hotels, as well as some universities
- Private listening on Fire TV—Enjoy favorite movies and TV shows after the kids go to sleep, without worrying about waking them up. Support for wireless Bluetooth headphones to Fire TV lets you listen to your movie, TV show, or music without bothering others in your household
- Browse and search Prime Playlists—Prime members can now take advantage of hand-crafted Prime Music playlists directly from Fire TV and Fire TV Stick—there are hundreds of expertly curated Prime Playlists to choose from based on your mood, activity or even artist or decade of choice
- Hidden PIN entry—With the new PIN entry screen that hides the numbers selected, you can now make sure your kids (or freeloading friends) can’t see your device PIN as you enter it on-screen to confirm a purchase on Fire TV or Fire TV Stick
- New shortcuts—Quickly put your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick to sleep or enable display mirroring by pressing and holding the Home button on your remote.
The Amazon Fire TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick are available at Amazon.com for $99 and $39 respectively.