NASA has launched an official app for the fourth-generation Apple TV. The new app allows viewers to watch high-definition live streaming video from NASA TV, including a real-time view of the Earth from the International Space Station.
The new tvOS app joins the space agency’s iOS, Android and Fire OS apps. The app has proven to be popular with users, and has been downloaded more than 17 million times across all supported platforms.
“The NASA app has been a fantastic way for the public to experience the excitement of space exploration from their mobile devices,” said David Weaver, associate administrator for Communications at the agency. “Now, users with the latest Apple TV can explore and enjoy our remarkable images, videos, mission information, NASA Television and more on the big screen with the whole family.”
Videos, Photos & More
In addition to the live streaming feature, the app offers on-demand access to more than 10,000 videos and over 15,000 photos from the space agency, which can be viewed individually or as a continuous slideshow. Users can also keep track of both current and future missions via the news feature, view 2D and 3D satellite tracking maps, and listen to “Third Rock” internet streaming radio.
Users planning a visit to the NASA visitor center will find the app also offers maps and full details about the center.
- Watch live streaming NASA TV, and get a real-time view of the Earth from the International Space Station
- View more than 15,000 images individually or as a continuous slideshow
- Play on demand videos
- Find the next opportunity to view the International Space Station and other NASA satellites pass overhead, based on your location.
- Display 2-D and 3-D satellite tracking maps
- Discover the latest mission information
- Listen to Third Rock internet streaming radio
- View the Earth as Art image gallery
The NASA app can be found in the tvOS App Store on the fourth-gen Apple TV. For more information, visit the app website.