Virtualization software developer Parallels today announced the release of Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac, the latest version of their popular virtualization software for the Mac. Version 12 offers a number of new features, including support for the upcoming macOS Sierra operating system, a standalone Toolbox app, and more.
The main highlight of Parallels Desktop 12 would have to be the Parallels Toolbox, which offers 10 tools that can be used to perform common tasks via simple, single-function tools for both the Mac and Windows virtual machines (VMs). Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro and Business Edition subscribers, and Parallels Toolbox for Mac subscribers, will receive free updates of additional tools which will be made available every quarter.
- Distraction-free presentation modes for both Mac and Windows VMs, including:
- Hide Desktop Files
- Do Not Disturb
- Keep Mac Awake.
- Archive, encrypt and password protect all of your files.
- Simply capture screen shots or record video of a screen, window or area.
- Download videos from YouTube, Facebook and other websites with a single click.
- Time management tools—an alarm, timer, date countdown and stopwatch.
- Unpack files from ZIP, RAR and many other formats.
If you don’t already have Microsoft Windows license, or an install disk to use for installation, Parallels 12 includes a handy way to purchase and install the Microsoft operating system from directly within the Parallels Desktop Wizard.
Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac Product Feature Highlights Include:
- Parallels Toolbox for Mac: 20 tools that simplify everyday tasks on your Mac.
- Simplified backup: One year of Acronis True Image 500 GB cloud backup storage, which can backup new incremental changes to a VM, instead of having to resave an entire VM and changes every time changes are made.
- Support for Blizzard Entertainment’s Overwatch PC game.
- Support for Windows 10 Xbox app, for streaming and playing all Xbox games on a Mac
- Schedule Windows updates for an appropriate time at night to avoid time-consuming disruptions during your day.
- Control storage space used by VMs directly from the Optimized Storage in macOS Sierra.
- Store Microsoft Edge™ and Internet Explorer® passwords in Mac Keychain®.
- Assign special behaviors to Windows apps, such as Always Open Full Screen or Always Hide Other Apps, so they play even better on your Mac.
- Easily cancel time-consuming VM actions.
- Open documents from SharePoint® and Office 365® in Microsoft Office for Windows desktop applications directly from your favorite Mac browser.
- Keep Windows ready in the background, instead of suspending the VM, to instantly open Windows applications and documents.
- Outlook® for Windows now features your recently accessed documents, both Mac and Windows, so they are conveniently available to select when you add attachments to your emails.
- Improved Retina® support for resizing Windows VMs.
- Archive VMs to save space in the Pro Edition.
- Set resource usage limits for VMs in the Pro Edition.
- Network Conditioner in the Pro Edition now features preconfigured network profiles (Edge, 100 percent loss, 3G, DSL, Very Bad Network and Wi-Fi) to make testing a breeze, as well as customizable settings.
Parallels Desktop 12 also offers a number of optimizations to improve performance, these include:
- Up to 90 percent faster Snapshot creation.
- Up to 60 percent faster suspend of VMs.
- Up to 25 percent faster Shared Folders performance.
- Compile Visual Studio® projects on shared folders up to 25 percent faster.
- Up to 10 percent battery life improvement.**
- Enjoy improved VM responsiveness when your Mac is low on free memory.
Existing Parallels Desktop 10 and 11 users can upgrade today to Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac, Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition and Parallels Desktop for Mac Business Edition for $49.99 or $49.99 per year for the Pro Edition.
New customers can purchase Parallels Desktop for Mac 12 beginning August 23, for $79.99, or $99.99 per year for either the Pro or Business Editions.
Parallels Toolbox for Mac, which is included with all versions of Parallels Desktop 12, will also be available as a standalone product for $9.99 per year.