Apple has released watchOS 3.1.1, a new software update for all generations of the Apple Watch. the new update is a minor release, which follows the October release of watchOS 3.1.
The update can be downloaded through the dedicated Watch app on an iPhone running iOS or higher by going to “General” -> “Software Update.” The Apple Watch must have 50% battery life remaining, be placed on an Apple Watch charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone.
While watchOS 3.1.1 doesn’t include any outward-facing changes, instead concentrating on bug fixes and performance improvements, the new update does offer support for the new Unicode 9 emoji, which debuted in iOS 10.2. It also includes an feature that allows changing the skin tone of the emoji.
Bug fixes include:
- Fixes an issue that could prevent contact names from appearing in the Messages app and notifications
- Fixes an issue that could impact ability to respond to notifications
- Resolves an issue where the Stocks complication may not update on the watch face
- Fixes an issue that may prevent the Activity rings from displaying on the Activity watch faces
- Fixes an issue that prevented the dials on an analog watch face from appearing after changing the temperature unit in the Weather app
- Resolves an issue that could cause the Maps app to stay launched after navigation has ended
- Resolves an issue where the incorrect date could be displayed in the Calendar app month view