UK bank Barclays is the first bank in the U.K. to announce support for using Siri to make personal payments via the Barclay app. Users will be able to make a completely hands-free payment using Apple’s virtual personal assistant.
The Siri integration means BMB customers won’t need to open the app to pay existing payees or mobile contacts, they can simply ask Siri such as “Pay John £15 with Barclays”. Payments are authenticated by the user with Apple’s TouchID fingerprint recognition ensuring maximum security without the need to remember their passcode.
This technology will enable customers to send money virtually hands free, and will make secure banking easier, faster and simpler for all customers, including those with additional needs.
About Siri payments
- Available to all customers with an iOS device enabled with TouchID and using iOS 10 +
- Barclays customers need to allow Siri payments in their app to start making payments
- Customers can opt into Siri payments in BMB via the Siri ‘What’s new’ screen or by visiting ‘Manage payments’ under the More menu (where they can also update their Siri settings anytime).
- Siri payments can currently be made to existing payees or mobile contacts
- Payment limits apply to single and daily payments limits, and can only be made in pounds
Customers will need to allow Siri payments in the app before using the new feature.