Apple on Tuesday announced the release of a new 9.7-inch iPad which features improved performance and support for Apple Pencil. The new tablet starts at $329 ($299 for schools).
The new iPad features the usual Retina display, and is powered by the A10 Fusion chip.
“iPad is our vision for the future of computing and hundreds of millions of people around the world use it every day at work, in school and for play. This new 9.7-inch iPad takes everything people love about our most popular iPad and makes it even better for inspiring creativity and learning,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Product Marketing. “Our most popular and affordable iPad now includes support for Apple Pencil, bringing the advanced capabilities of one of our most creative tools to even more users. This iPad also has the power of the A10 Fusion chip, combined with the big, beautiful Retina display, advanced cameras and sensors that enable incredible AR experiences simply not possible on other devices.”
The Apple Pencil, which was first developed for use with the iPad Pro, offers a fluid and natural writing and drawing experience. Sensors in the stylus measure pressure and tilt, to provide pixel-perfect accuracy. The stylus can be used in apps like Pages, Number, Keynote, and many more.
The Apple-designed A10 Fusion chip offers desktop-class 64-bit performance, delivering 40% faster CPU and 50% faster graphics performance than the previous generation. The new tablet offers enhanced cameras and advanced sensors, including a gyroscope and accelerometer for accurate motion tracking, designed to support the next generation of AR apps.
- iPad comes in silver, space gray and a new gold finish and starts at an Apple retail price of $329 (US) for the 32GB with Wi-Fi model and $459 (US) for the 32GB Wi-Fi + Cellular model at apple.com and Apple Stores. It is also available through Apple Authorized Resellers and select carriers (prices may vary). For more information, please visit apple.com.
- Apple Pencil is available for purchase separately for $99 (US).
- Schools can purchase iPad starting at $299 (US) and Apple Pencil for $89 (US).
- iPad is available to order today and starts delivering to customers and arriving in stores later this week in more than 25 countries and regions: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the US.India, Russia, Thailand, Turkey and other countries and regions will follow in April, with South Korea and other countries and regions following in May.
- Smart Covers for iPad are available for $39 (US) in charcoal gray, midnight blue, (RED), white and pink sand at apple.com and Apple Stores.
- Every customer who buys iPad from Apple will be offered free Personal Setup, in-store or online, to help them set up email and iMessage, download apps from the App Store and more.
- Anyone who wants to start with the basics or go further with their new iPad can sign up for free Today at Apple sessions at apple.com/today.