Apple Books is now offering six free audiobooks, read by celebrity narrators. All six books are public domain works.
The Secret Garden. Frankenstein. The Time Machine. Pride & Prejudice. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
All-time classics, narrated by very special guests. Get the full collection of these Great First Listens for free. Only on Apple Books.https://t.co/NHkoxh67ej pic.twitter.com/Qmimh9Rvzk
— Apple Books (@AppleBooks) December 14, 2018
Only available on Apple Books, Apple has partnered with celebrities including actresses Kate Beckinsale and Karen Gillan, and comedian Tituss Burgess. The titles range from four to twelve hours in length, and there’s even a retelling of Winnie the Pooh recorded by Disney.
The six titles include:
- Pride and Prejudice, narrated by Kate Beckinsale
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, narrated by Tituss Burgess
- The Secret Garden, narrated by Karen Gillan
- The Time Machine, narrated by Kelsey Grammer
- Frankenstein, narrated by Aaron Mahnke of the Lore podcast
- Winnie the Pooh, narrated by Disney Book Group
Although Apple offers audiobooks for sale in the Apple Books store, each title is expensive, and hard to discover. Apple recently revamped its Books app alongside the release of iOS 12, and hired an ex-Audible SVP to run the Books division, indicating it may be planning to take a run at competitor Audible, which dominates the audio books market.