Apple today released the latest version of their macOS operating system, macOS 10.15 Catalina, to the public. The new version of the venerable operating system brings numerous new features to Mac users.
macOS Catalina is free, and can be downloaded from the Mac App Store or from the Software Update icon in System Preferences on compatible Macs.
Features of macOS 10.15 Catalina include:
- The iTunes app is replaced with three new apps designed to simplify the way Mac users enjoy their favorite music, TV shows, movies and podcasts.
- Sidecar allows users to use their iPad as an extended display for Mac and a high-precision drawing tablet across supported Mac apps.
- Apple is introducing new assistive technologies.
- Screen Time makes the move over from iOS and gives users insight into how they spend time in apps and on websites, and the tools to help decide how to spend their time on their Mac.
- Photos features a beautiful new browsing experience that intelligently showcases the user’s best pictures.
- Safari has an updated start page that uses Siri Suggestions to elevate frequently visited sites, bookmarks, iCloud tabs, Reading List selections and links sent in Messages.
- Mail in macOS Catalina adds the ability to block email from a specified sender, mute an overly active thread and unsubscribe from commercial mailing lists.
- Notes now has a brand new Gallery View, more powerful search tools and additional collaboration options.
- Reminders has been redesigned with an all-new user interface that makes it easier to create, organize and track reminders.
32-bit Mac apps will not work on macOS 10.15 Catalina, so keep that in mind before installing the public release.
macOS 10.15 Catalina is compatible with the following Macs:
- MacBook: 2015 and later
- MacBook Air: 2012 and later
- MacBook Pro: 2012 and later
- Mac mini: 2012 and later
- Mac: 2012 and later
- iMac Pro: 2017 and later
- Mac Pro – 2013 and later