Netflix today announced the upcoming launch of its new ad-supported tier. The streamer’s new “Basic With Ads” plan is priced at $6.99 per month in the United States, which is $3 less than the standard “no-ads” Basic plan.
Basic With Ads will be offered in addition to the streamer’s Basic, Standard, and Premium plans, and will provide 720p video stream. Netflix is also updating the standard Basic plan with 720p support when the Basic With Ads plan launches.
We’re excited to launch Basic with Ads — Netflix’s lower priced ad-supported plan — in November.
- Unmissable entertainment at unbeatable value: Basic with Ads will cost just $6.99 a month in the US and launch on November 3 at 9 am PT.
- Available in 12 countries: Basic with Ads will be available in Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Spain, the UK and the US.
- A plan for every fan: Our current plans and members will not be impacted.Basic with Ads complements our existing ad-free Basic, Standard and Premium plans.
Basic with Ads offers all the features people expect from Netflix’s Basic plan, with a few differences:
- What stays the same: A wide variety of great TV shows and movies; personalized viewing experience; available on a wide range of TV and mobile devices; change or cancel your plan at any time.
- What’s different: Video quality up to 720p/HD (now for both our Basic with Ads and Basic plans); average of 4 to 5 minutes of ads per hour; a limited number of movies and TV shows won’t be available due to licensing restrictions, which we’re working on; no ability to download titles.
While the new Netflix plan will offer most of the same TV shows and movies, subscribers will sit through between four and five minutes of ads per hour. Ads will vary from 15 to 30 seconds in length and will play before and during shows and films.
Some movies and TV shows will not be available due to licensing restrictions, but Netflix has not yet published a list of content that will not be available. The ad-based tier will also not allow the downloading of movies and TV shows for offline viewing.
Netflix Basic with Ads will launch on Thursday, November 3 at 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time. Availability will initially be limited to Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Spain, the UK, and the US.