Apple has released Safari Technology Preview 162, the latest version of their developer preview web browser. The preview version of Apple’s popular browser offers developers and other interested users the ability to try out features that may or may not, debut in future public release versions of Safari.
Safari Technology Preview release 162 includes bug fixes and performance improvements for Web Inspector, CSS, Scrolling, Gamepad API, Media, Web API, and Accessibility. This update enables Shared Tab Groups and syncing for Tab Groups, Website Settings, and Web Extensions, which can be tested on Safari Technology Preview 162 or later running on macOS Ventura 13.2 or later, or macOS Monterey with Safari 16.2.
The preview is available for both macOS Monterey and macOS Ventura. It is no longer available for macOS Big Sur.
Note: Enabled Shared Tab Groups and syncing for Tab Groups, Website Settings, and Web Extensions in this release. These features require Safari Technology Preview 162 or later running on macOS Ventura 13.2 or later, or macOS Monterey with Safari 16.2.
- Added editing capabilities for font variation axes in Fonts sidebar panel (258503@main)
- Added showing parent style rules for nested style rules in Styles sidebar (258555@main)
- Enabled CSS Nesting (258564@main, 258560@main)
- Enabled CSS relative color syntax (258519@main)
- Enabled CSS margin-trim property (258588@main)
- Implemented margin-trim for flexbox (258563@main)
- Implemented margin-trim for grid containers (258587@main)
- Fixed CSS animations to participate in the cascade (258514@main)
- Fixed page up and page down scrolling feeling slow (258598@main)
- Added support for Gamepad.vibrationActuator (258680@main)
- Added plumbing for Gamepad.vibrationActuator API (258482@main, 258559@main)
- Made Gamepad.vibrationActuator work with the GameController framework (258674@main)
- Limited DOMAudioSession to third-party iframes that have microphone access (258423@main)
- Enabled declarative Shadow DOM by default (258566@main, 258568@main)
- Enabled form-associated custom elements with ElementInternals by default (258574@main, 258561@main)
- Implemented non-autofill credential type for the autocomplete attribute (258582@main)
- Changed <button> and <select> elements with a readonly attribute to not be barred from constraint validation (258485@main)
- Fixed painting an in-process VideoFrame in a remotely-backed canvas does not work (258479@main)
- Lowered per-process WebSocket connection limits (258488@main)
- Made all FileSystemSyncAccessHandle methods sync (258473@main)
- Moved oncopy, oncut, and onpaste to GlobalEventHandlers (258390@main)
- Removed HTMLFrameElement.width and HTMLFrameElement.height (258573@main)
- Removed HTMLHeadElement.profile (258397@main)
- Removed HTMLPreElement.wrap IDL attribute (258445@main)
- Enabled default ARIA for custom elements (258743@main)
- Fixed aria-activedescendant to work with a standard “listbox” pattern (258478@main)
- Fixed nested role=”presentation” elements break role=”tree” behavior (258435@main)
While the preview is intended for use by developers and advanced users, in order to provide Apple with feedback on the development of the Safari browser, it can be run side-by-side with the release version of Safari. The app doesn’t require a developer account to download and install. For more information, visit the Safari Technology Preview website.