Now that Absinthe 2.0 has finally been released, giving users the ability to jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 untethered on the latest iOS devices, those of you unfamiliar with jailbreaking may be wondering how to get started. This tutorial provided by the developers of the jailbreak will walk you through the process.
Before you begin, make sure your device is compatible by checking the list in our original post, or at the Chronic Dev Team website.
How To Use Absinthe 2.0 (if you’re unjailbroken):
1. Make a backup of your device in iTunes by right clicking on your device name under the ‘Devices’ menu and click ‘Back Up’.
2. Once your backup is complete return to your device and go to Settings – General – Reset – Erase all Content and Settings. This will make the jailbreak process much faster.
3. Open Absinthe and be sure you are still connected via USB cable to your computer.
4. Click ‘Jailbreak’ and wait…. just be patient and do not disconnect your device.
5. Once jailbroken return to iTunes and restore your backup from earlier. Right click on your device name under the ‘Devices’ menu in the left panel of iTunes and click ‘Restore from Back Up…’ then select the latest backup you created before. (restoring this backup will return all the content previously on your device ie, apps, photos, etc.)
6. Thanks for using Absinthe, enjoy your jailbroken iDevice!
How To Untether 5.1.1 (if you’re already jailbroken):
Just search for and install “Rocky Racoon 5.1.1 Untether” from Cydia.
The best thing about the Absinthe jailbreak tool is that it is extremely straightforward and easy to use – in most cases, it only takes one click to make all of the magic happen! For those of you looking for a visual tutorial, check out iDownloadBlog‘s excellent step-by-step instruction video below.
Note: Jailbreaking or modifying your device in any way is done at your own risk, and we accept no liability in the event that something goes wrong.