• Mac

iFixit Tears Down The Retina MacBook Pro: Apple’s Least Repairable Product Yet!

iFixit Tears Down The Retina MacBook Pro: Apple’s Least Repairable Product Yet!

While most people have yet to get their hands on a new Retina MacBook Pro, the folks at iFixit have already got their screwdrivers on one, and have torn down the new MacBook to reveal it’s internals. What they found, however, is that the new $2000+ notebook is nearly impossible to repair.

iFixit reveals (as I suspected) that the RAM in the new device is soldered to the logic board, and that Apple is using a proprietary design for the blade SSD, meaning that neither of these parts are user upgradable (although companies will likely eventually product SSD upgrades for the device).

Even worse, Apple is using proprietary screws throughout the body of the machine, and a battery that is firmly glued (and not screwed) into place – and it’s glued right above the trackpad connector, making the trackpad nearly impossible to replace as well.

The teardown also did a great job at revealing the beauty of the new MacBook Pro’s internals – this thing is just as gorgeous on the inside as it is on the surface! Unfortunately, that beauty won’t mean much to users who need the machine fixed after the 1-year warranty expires. Get ready for some expensive (really expensive) repair bills!

The team at iFixit concludes that the new MacBook Pro with Retina display is Apple’s least repairable yet. Put in more practical terms: If you think there’s any conceivable chance you’ll need 16GB of RAM or extra storage space, get them from the very beginning, because you won’t get a second chance.

Sad.

The entire teardown, with pictures, can be found over at iFixit’s website.

1. C Eric Peters says:

Sounds perfect for some Apple Care upgrade action

2. JG says:

I am really not at all happy about this development.  I refuse to believe that with all of Ive’s design prowess and Jobs previous insistence that users be able to have at least SOME access to the internals of their pro level kit, that it was necessary to lock the notebooks down like this.  I am all for Apple setting boundaries on what can and can not be played with in the guts, but this is absurd.  Calling it a MacBook “pro” is like calling Ford Fiesta a “race car” because it has a spoiler on the back.  One of the hallmarks of their pro level kit has always been a certain amount of user upgradeability which is now totally absent in their notebooks.

3. BjornSM says:

This sounds like it is just driven by an overwhelming desire to make it as thin as possible.

I do not believe it has anything to do with “locking down” components for upgrades.

1. I find that hard to believe. They used proprietary security screws throughout the whole machine, and their own proprietary connector for the SSD that’s almost (but not quite) exactly like PCIe.

4. 161692 36784I actually enjoy reading on this site, it holds amazing articles . 229132

5. fake rolex says:

258213 362971baby strollers with high traction rollers really should be much safer to use compared to those with plastic wheels- 800252

6. Glo Extracts says:

471607 82926There is noticeably a bundle to realize about this. I assume you produced various good points in features also. 486461

7. 516340 875098Official NFL jerseys, NHL jerseys, Pro and replica jerseys customized with Any Name / Number in Pro-Stitched Tackle Twill. All NHL teams, full range of styles and apparel. Signed NFL NHL player jerseys and custom team hockey and football uniforms 730031

8. Esport says:

75570 472382Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So nice to search out any person with some distinctive thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this web internet site is 1 thing thats necessary on the net, someone with a bit of originality. valuable job for bringing something new to the internet! 785334

9. MILF chat says:

328528 270970Greetings! This really is my initial comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I genuinely enjoy reading by means of your weblog posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics? Thank you so significantly! 996682

10. 695334 818096Hi there, just became aware of your weblog by means of Google, and located that its truly informative. Ill be grateful in case you continue this in future. Lots of men and women will benefit from your writing. Cheers! 760593

11. 928462 308459The next time Someone said a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me just as a lot as this. Come on, man, I know it was my choice to read, but When i thought youd have some thing intriguing to say. All I hear is actually a handful of whining about something you could fix inside the event you werent too busy searching for attention. 823438

12. Pingback: JXNhGmmt