Best To Do Apps For Mac

Best To Do Apps For Mac

To-Do software falls under the realm of time management and get things done. A good task management app will answer a question that we ponder every single day (and some of us every single hour!) – “What the F am I meant to be doing?”.

A great To-Do app will let you organize and focus on tasks at hand and complete them in a timely manner. The app should be simple to use, simple to add/edit/create tasks, allow you to plan and organize yourself, let you schedule tasks, and improve your productivity.

Other positive characteristics of good To-Do software include cross-platform support (Mac, iPhone, PC, Web, etc..), syncing between multiple devices, and simple-clean-clever design.

5 Great To-Do Apps For Mac

We took a quick look at the 5 most popular To-Do apps that our Twitter readers recommended. Things, Evernote, Wunderlist, OmniFocus, and iCal.

Things

Things
Things, by Culture of Code, was by far the most popular reply to our tweet. Things has a very simple to use interface but its simplicity doesn’t mean they forgo any essential features that make Things a robust To-Do app.

A 15 day free trial of the award wining Things is available for Mac, iPhone, & iPad. The app has a sale price of $49.95.

Things is a beautifully focused and amazingly intuitive task manager. Other todo applications either oversimplify or are too difficult to use. Things instead offers the perfect balance between ease of use and powerful features.

(Via Geekanoids –Things Review – Task Management Application for Mac OS X)

Evernote

EvernoteEvernote is a very popular app for OS X that is also available as a web app, Windows app, and mobile app for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Android, Blackberry, Palm Pre, and Windows Mobile. That’s a lot of devices!

Evernote is a free app and takes a more “clip” approach to tasks rather than the more conventional approach of creating to-do lists. Think of Evernote as a filofax in which you can scribble notes, create lists, create documents, save images, and create bookmarks of webpages.

Evernote is a free-to-use and ad-supported app that can be upgraded to remove the ads, and increase your monthly online storage amongst other upgrades.

Evernote helps millions worldwide remember anything and everything that happens in their lives. Use Evernote to take notes, save interesting web pages, create to-dos and shopping lists, attach images and PDFs, and so much more. Then, watch as it all instantly synchronizes from your Mac to your smartphone, tablet and the Web, allowing you to find your memories at any time from anywhere.

(Via EvernoteAndrew – The New Evernote For iPhone Overview)

Wunderlist

WunderlistWunderlist is a beautifully simple to use and understand To-Do app. The most interesting thing about Wunderlist is the fact that it’s free and features no in-app advertisements. I can only presume that they are building up a user base while they develop Wunderlist further before making a paid for or ad supported version of the app.

Don’t be fooled by the fact that Wunderlist is free. It’s a ridiculously great piece of software and I’m really looking forward to what the future may bring for Wunderlist.

Wunderlist is a sync-friendly To-Do app that is available for Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, and Windows.

Wunderlist makes it dead simple to organize your daily life. Just add some lists and start filling them with the things that need to be done. Keep track of your important tasks with reminders and notifications. You can even create a new task from your email inbox. And the best thing is it’s for free.

(Via Lifehacker – Wunderlist Demo)

Omnifocus

OmniFocusOmnifocus is a feature rich and extensive app that, in my opinion, is more of a project management tool than a to-do organizer. The interface is very similar to that of Things but the major difference is that Things is more of a personal focused app and Omnifocus is more centered on business activities.

You will need to devote quite a bit of time to Omnifocus to understand how it works and to get the best out of the app. Omnifocus is available with a 14 day free trial and sells for $79.99.

OmniFocus is designed to quickly capture your thoughts and allow you to store, manage, and process them into actionable to-do items. Perfect for the getting things done system, but flexible enough for any task management style, OmniFocus helps you work smarter by giving you powerful tools for staying on top of all things you need to do.

(via theiphoneblog – OmniFocus for iPad)

iCal

iCaliCal is a calendar app that can be easily used as an organizer for to-dos and to manage your time. The hour by hour breakdown in the calendar-cenetric design makes the app very usable since it is simple to add and edit tasks and to get a snapshot of your activities for the rest of the day and week.

The great thing about using iCal, other than it will always be free, is that it is integrated into the OS X operating system and hooks up brilliantly with Mail.app

iCal as a To-Do App

iCal makes it easy to keep track of your busy schedule. You can create as many separate calendars as you need — one for home, another for school, a third for work, and so on. You can see all your calendars in a single window or choose to see only the calendars you want.

(via ideamatt – Getting iCal Done)

Honorable To-Do Mentions

Some other great To-Do apps that are worth checking out include
Springpad, Remember The Milk, Toodledo, Anxiety App, Todolicious, TaskPaper, iProcrastinate, and of course the traditional approach of using pen & paper!

What Say You?

What To-Do app do you use and why? Drop us a comment and vote on our poll.

1. Software girl says:

For task management software I use Teambox, a a free open source collaboration tool with online project management that will help organize your tasks and manage your projects into a real conversation. It works great with Mac and its easy and fun to use. Check it out: https://teambox.com/

2. Honza says:

Very good app is doit.im. I need to work on several platforms and doit.im makes it possible. It has web acess as well as apps for iOS. All todoes are synced to the cloud so everything is easily accessible. There is native app for mac emerging.
    It is simple and powerful, obviously inspirated by Things.

3. hasan82 says:

I do not much about Mac but there lots of good free blackberry todo app

4. A new great app has arrived in the app store with the great possibility to add files to your todo's.

Im still sticking with Things but check it out: iProcastrinate

1. Thee Gooch says:

How is your great new app doing?

5. Rick T. says:

I found ccToDo todo-list-manager quite impressive. I have been using other todo list managers as well but found ccToDo interfaces intutive as well as appealing. ccToDo has cloud based apps for Mac as well as other platforms. A must try.

6. tychonaut says:

Hey .. c’mon!  Hit List deserves at least a mention here.  If it had iPhone compatibility (an eternal request) it would easily trump Things  (IMHO).  Very Wunderlist-like (as in, I think the Wunder List team *really* like Hit List)… but with more features (recurring alarms / totally keyboard shortcut friendly).

7. Mark Barner says:

Wunderlist does NOT sync with iCal – that just sucks!

8. Anne Lyle says:

Funny you should mention that Things is more personal-focused whereas Omnifocus is more business-oriented, as I use them both – the former for my personal to-dos and the latter for project management at work. Why both? I like to keep my home life and work separate, as part of the “mind like water” principle of GTD, I don’t want to see my work tasks at home and vice versa.

9. Scott Ruth says:

Would love to see a similar post about mac CRM software. I’m having a hard time finding something I like.

10. Danielle says:

Thx for an insightful review. Definitely helped me settle on a program. I went with Wunderlist so I could sync across all of my devices without buying multiple versions of software. Yay!

11. Max says:

I use TodoPlus, which is a freeware application for both Mac OS X. It is easy to use and it supports subtasks so I can use it for bigger projects without getting overwhelmed.

12. Leova says:

Hello !

Two years after iPad’s release, it’s good to see iPad has become a professional device for work. For my part, I use it everyday at work. I also think iPad is
    an efficient professional device thanks to business applications which can be
    really good.

In business app, I’d like to recommend a great one which integrated an
    interesting concept; saving time from your notes. This app, Beesy, generates
    automatically a ToDo list from a smart note taking. Also, the advantage is you
    can esasily send your minutes by email.

I love testing new business/productivity apps such as Evernote, Penutilmate, Omnifocus, Awesome but it’s the first time I see an app so well done.  I recommend Beesy for people which often have meetings 😉

and btw, Great post ! 🙂

13. gabblebonce says:

all i want is something that emulates my filofax so that i have a master list of tasks that i drag into each day as i want to organise them and so i see my tasks and calendar appointments all on one page for the day. I want this to sync up to my mac and all my mobile devices. Surely surely there must be something that fits the bill? so far nothing has!

14. Kelly says:

On my ipad I ues smartTM which works great with Evernote and ical. This app offers smart task magagement features, very intuitive and simple weekly tasks reviews and all other features this kind of app needs (reminders, prioriziation etc.) Think you should try it out.

15. Thee Gooch says:

My vote is for Omnifocus. I’ve used a grip of task managers like RTM,Reminders and Toodledo in the past, but they always fell short. While OF is expensive and not perfect, the number of features and relative ease of use*( it came to me pretty quickly) made it worth the cost. I can focus on managing tasks and projects without trying to come up with work arounds for missing features as I did in other applications.