• iOS

4 Features That Will Enhance iOS

iOS is a great mobile OS. But for all the plaudits it receives, it has some shortcomings in certain areas. Sweden based design agency Color Monkey produced the below video that outlines 4 enhancements they would like to introduce in iOS.

1. Widgets On Home Screen – This dashboard like feature would add weather, iTunes control, and calandear widgets to your home screens.

2. Settings Shortcuts – One of my own personal frustrations is the annoyance in accessing common settings. Some settings are 4 level deeps and being able to add a shortcut to those settings on my home screen would be a very welcome addition to iOS.

3. Notifications – iOS doesn’t do notifications very well. Color Monkey would like to see the introduction of discrete notifications that is accessible by double clicking the home button.

4. Favorite Friends – Favorite Friends would let you add shortcuts to your favorite contacts directly on your home screen. Clicking their avatar would bring up their contact details and put you within one click of contacting them.

What do you think of Color Monkey’s suggestions?

Thanks to Dave Jeffery for the tip.

Topics

1. Anon coward says:

I really like the notifications idea, with it being integrated to the double-tap multi-tasking function. Double-tab could be a bit techie for my Mom though, so being able to touch something on the screen should bring up the same notifications view as shown here.

2. Anon coward says:

3. Jimmijames73 says:

+1 for widgets and notifications. I think the current notification system on the iPhone is the most frustrating feature. Would also like a customizable lock screen.

4. I definitely agree with all four of these. Although, is almost definitely too late to be implemented into iOS 5.0 seeing as it should be released in the coming months. Hard to tell if features are too significant to be released in 5.x releases and will have to wait for iOS 6.0. That is if they even take these options, which I certainly hope they do.

1. Joeye1 says:

No apple already probably implemented those features in iOS 5. The main rumors are that iOS 5 will have new notifications, widgets, voice integration, and music in the clouds.

5. Chris says:

Jailbreak. Problems solved.

6. Colasonic says:

Well, many of these are already covered by JB apps and they even do better. For example popular app Lockinfo can put weather, notification, task etc on lock screen and Music Control can let you play music anywhere.

7. Hdslrt2i says:

I’m all for better notifications, but it’s all too much clutter I think. Sounds like it’s pulling a bit from other OS systems

8. Winchensaft says:

I think there should be notifications on the lock screen, weatherbupdates, scrolling news feed. Widgets on the home page wd be nice but tbh, the other tweaks just don’t seem that useful – more pedantic!

1. IH8APPLE says:

notifications are on the lock screen….

9. Blazers_fan7 says:

Open source code would be a good start.

1. Anonymous says:

I’m confused… is this supposed to be a fairytale list?  I thought we were making realistic suggestions…

10. For me, redesigned notifications are the main thing. Widgets would be nice too, but I don’t really care about having ‘favorite friends’ or anything. That’s all too much clutter for my taste.

1. I agree. Probably the first thing I noticed when I first got an iPhone was that the notifications are garbage, and I’d often miss one or two.

2. I also agree. HTC Sense and Touch Wiz grabbed what iOS doesn’t have: widgets and shortcuts (GPS. Bluetooth, Wifi buttons etc). I’d like to see improved notifications and widgets.